Chapter 52- Failed to see the signs

"Kalston!"

My name called from behind, I turn as Olivia runs herself into me. She wraps her arms around me and smiles wide when looking up. Her green eyes sparkling.

"Hello, Dove," I respond before wrapping my arms around her.

We release each other before continuing down the hall. Olivia slips her hand into mine. I've been catching myself smiling a lot more with her around. Her bright demeanor is contagious.

"How's your morning going?" I ask her.

"Great, as always. What about yours? Is your mother doing okay? Did you give her the flowers I got her? I hope she loves them. I remembered she said how she loved sunflowers. You did say that right?"

Amused by her talkative self, I love how her voice fills the silence that usually lingers around me. One that if not filled tends to become suffocating.

"Yes she does, and yes I did. She loved them, and even asked when the next time you'll be over is."

"Really?! I'm glad your mom likes me. Most parents do, but I'm always scared they won't."

"So, when do you think you can come over next?"

"Would this weekend be okay? My older brother's coming home Saturday, but I'm sure my mom wouldn't mind if I spend it with you guys. If it's okay that is."

Unsure why she wouldn't want to see her brother, I know they don't get to see each other often. He's already moved out and doesn't get to come over often.

"Are you sure you don't want to spend it with your family? I mean I would love for you to come over, but I don't want to steal you away from them. You can always come over Sunday."

Her hand squeezes mine for a moment as she grows silent. Her attention seems to be on something to our right, but nothing is there.

"No, uh, it's good. I would really rather spend it with you and your mom. It's okay, I promise."

"Okay then. I'll let Mom know, but make sure to double-check with your mom. I don't want you getting into trouble."

Olivia looks up at me, smiling again. She stops us, and I look to her as she speaks in her usual chipper tone.

"Really! You're the best."

She tiptoes and kisses me on the cheek. Never doing that between us even after being together for a couple of months now, it takes me off guard. I bring my gaze off of her and back to in front of us as I feel my face get hot.

☙❃❧

Olivia's at her locker, and I head towards her. She seems to be speaking to herself again. Something I've noticed she does often, but who doesn't at times? The closer I get, the more I pick up on her words.

"... No, that's not true."

"Admit it or not doesn't change the facts."

"Okay, whatever."

About a foot away, she's yet to notice my presence, so I touch her arm to grab her attention. She jumps away, her eyes scared for a moment before registering that it's me.

"Geese, you scared me."

Smiling, it falters when she looks to the left of us for a moment before back at me.

"Sorry, I didn't mean to, Dove. Are you okay this morning?"

Her gaze drops to the floor until back at me again, she tries to keep a smile upon her face.

What is bothering her?

"Yeah, everything's fine. What about you?"

"Everything's fine. Do you want me to walk you to Mr. Jetson's? My class is in the computer lab today, so I'll be down the same hall."

"Uh, that would be great, yeah. Let me just finish grabbing my books and then we can head that way."

Already knowing that Olivia's books for her next class are on her top shelf, I grab them for her.

"Thanks."

She puts them in her bag when I hand them to her, and notice a glimpse of crumbled papers in her bag. Not something too uncommon, but she's usually more of a stickler when it comes to keeping her bag clean.

"Okay, let's go."

She gives me another smile before putting her hands in her hoody pockets.

☙❃❧

Trying to find Olivia, she seems to have been avoiding me all day. My text not even opened by her, she's not even been at her locker anytime I've gone by. I have a worried feeling about it. She keeps insisting that everything's fine, that we're fine, that she's fine, but I don't believe it anymore.

Together for over eight months now, I've noticed that she gets like this sometimes, but the past couple of weeks seem to be a worse case.

She's going to break up with me, isn't she?

'Of course, she is. Everyone leaves me.'

Just let her be okay, God. Even if she does leave me, please help her to be okay.

The bell ringing to tell me that class has officially started, I ignore it.

Just go to her class and see if you can see her.

Heading in that direction, it's when I'm in the stairwell that I hear cries making their way up. One's though not heard often, I have heard them enough to recognize it as Olivia's.

I quietly make my way down, listening to see if I can pin what floor they are coming from. Soon, whispers are entangled with the cries.

"Just shut up. I already know he hates me...

...James, just please, I know you're trying to help, but please. It's too much.

...I just want them to stop...why won't they stop talking."

I find her at the bottom, huddled behind the stairs as she bangs her hands to her head.

"JUST STOP!"

Inching my way to her, I don't understand what's going on. I speak to her in a whisper, trying not to frighten her.

"Olivia?"

She doesn't respond as she continues crying and hitting her head. Her tone now defeated.

"Please! Make them stop, James."

I kneel in front of her.

"Dove, it's me."

I lay my hand on her knee. She flinches, her breath shallow as she stares at me. Her green eyes are dark and frightened as they glance back and forth between me and the surrounding area.

"Are you real?"

Her question breaks me as I think I begin to understand what's going on with her.

"Yes, Dove. I'm real."

"Can you hold me? I need to feel something real."

Sitting next to her, I wrap my arms around her as she barries her face into my chest. She still struggles with the voices she hears. Wanting to do anything to help, I try humming a tune I've heard her do so at times, hoping that it helps calm things for her. I don't know how much it does, but I do notice her body settling some.

I give it a moment before grabbing my phone and messaging Olivia's mom. We stay huddled under the staircase for some time until her mom and a couple of administrators come with a person wearing soft purple scrubs. Olivia's expression conflicted. She seems slightly relieved but her hurt stands out the most.

'You failed her.'

But... What else was I supposed to do?

My heart breaks.