Chapter 60- Confessions

With the rain pouring down just before me, the air clings with a cold mist. I close my eyes for a moment and breath it all in. Picturing the wet grass as I take note of its scent. This kind of weather has always been a comfort to me. The intense rain that's not needing caution. A couple clicks further into the red would trigger my anxiety, but settling just before, it's my perfect comfort zone instead. The sound always clears my head.

The water drops on my skin a craving with my bare feet longing to dance on the damp ground as wet grass or mud squishes between my toes. I try my best to hold back. Right now I enjoy my other favorite comfort, Kalston right beside me with the heat coming off his arm close enough to warm mine.

"This really was a good idea," I tell him as I take a sip from my still-hot coffee.

"I'm glad it's making you feel better."

He takes a pause before furthering his words.

"Hey, Love, what are you up to tomorrow?"

I turn my gaze to him, wondering what he might have in mind. A little sad that I have to postpone whatever it is, but still glad that I get to see Matt again. He's become a close friend now. Someone I've noticed I share things easier with that I haven't with anyone else.

"I'm hanging out with Matt, why?"

A look of disappointment washes over his face for a moment before he wipes it clean. He tries hard not to let his emotions show. I can't fault him for it, not when I do the same most times. It's a habit to most not to worry those they care about even if it is a bit of toxic behavior that affects yourself most.

"Nothing, I just was going to ask if you wanted to do something tomorrow, but it's fine. Maybe another day. You know, I get a bit jealous of the guy sometimes. I know you two are just friends, and I guess he could easily wish he was in my shoes since I get to see you every day, but I still hate that he's the one always getting to take you out."

Surprised that he's so open about it when I figured he'd shut down again about how he's truly feeling, I hate that I've made him feel this way. I'm so used to seeing it as a good thing that Kalston and I hang out at home, or at least one of our homes, that I didn't put much thought into how he might feel. Grant it at first I had good reason to not want to go out with him as I knew he'd tease me about it being a date, but now I don't feel the same.

"Okay."

Leaving my response simple, he looks at me confused.

"Okay, what?"

"Okay, you can take me out."

I smile, but can't keep my eyes on him any longer. Even without seeing his expression, I can feel the lightness of it and imagine his playful smirk.

"Really? So, I get to take you on a date?"

And he goes exactly where I thought he would. I try to hold back a chuckle. He always has a way of making me smile uncontrollably.

"Yeah."

I take another sip from my coffee as a silence settles for a moment. Kalston the one now thrown for a loop, I enjoy it while I can. I've been picking up on his behavior and enjoyed lately catching him off guard the way he does me.

"Wait, what?"

I pull my gaze back to him.

"Let's go on a date. Of course, it will have to wait for a couple of weeks, but yeah. I'd love for you to take me out. Though we might not know everything about each other, I think we know each other well enough to go on a date. I mean, it's not like we haven't really been doing so. I'm sorry for making you think I didn't want to go out with you still. I'm just more comfortable at home, so I didn't think much of it."