Chapter 23

Without even realizing it, I'd fallen asleep and, in a way I kind of needed it. My mind was all over the place and I still didn't have any answers on what it was I was going to do. It was like I was lost inside my own head with no way out and all it did was leave me confused. I just needed a way not to think about it for a while and in doing so, I made my way out of the tent.

Stepping out, I caught a glimpse of Hershal, Jimmy and Rick all walking down the driveway. Jimmy trailing just a little behind the two men talking. A part of me hoping that they might be able to work something out so that I wasn't stuck in the middle of the two groups. Both of whom looking for answers.

I needed to stop. I needed to turn my mind off and stop all different scenarios from going round and round in circles inside my head, so I turned my attention over towards the farm house.

From where I was standing, it looked like Glenn and Maggie were arguing. Glenn still wearing Dale's hat. It didn't last long though because, as I made my way over, the two of them shared a kiss and went back to smiling at one another. As for everyone else, they all seemed to be doing their own thing. Andrea was stood with Tdog looking down at what I assumed was a map of the area and Carl, Beth, Patricia and Lori were all sat on the porch not too far away. As for the rest of them, I came to the conclusion that Dale and Shane must've still been out in the woods somewhere as Dale hadn't returned and Shane was no longer puppy guarding the barn like he had been, and Daryl and Carol were still over on the other side of the stables.

Once I reached the house, before I could say anything, I was greeted by Maggie with a loving smile on her face. "Can I talk to you for a second?" She asked me. I nodded, assuming she wanted to finish our earlier conversation, and followed her inside.

She lead me up the stairs and into a room that was filled with old boxes. "My dad wants the rest of your group to leave tonight if he can't fix things with Rick." She told me rummaging through one of the boxes.

I felt my stomach drop. I hadn't reached a decision and couldn't decide on what to do. Whether to say or leave. If Hershal and Rick couldn't make ends meet by the end of the day, I'd be forced to make that choice. A choice in which I was no where near ready to decide. I needed more time. Time I didn't have.

"Where've they gone?" I asked, looking out of the window, trying to hide my anxious expression.

She ignored my question and continued to rummage, looking up every once in a while. "When you left, I got speaking to my dad about you and your family. He told me about something that was in one of these boxes." I didn't say anything. I just watched as she moved onto another box. Then another. Then another, before she pulled out a small container and handed it to me. "Here we go." She smiled. "My dad said after your mother died, he and your father had a fight because he stole this. It was your mother's."

I looked from Maggie, down to the box in my hands where I slowly opened it. I didn't know what to say. It was one of the most beautiful amulets that I had ever seen. It looked like it cost a lot of money too. "Does your dad know that you've given me this?" I asked.

"Was his idea." She smiled again. "He had a bad drinking problem back in the day and was gonna pawn it to pay off his debts. He couldn't do it. Said he wants to give it back. Doesn't see the need in keeping something that wasn't his."

"Thank you." I nodded and closed the box again, hugging her tight. This meant more than she realized.

After separating, the two of us made our way down the stairs and back outside to where Maggie went and sat next to Glenn on the porch steps and I headed over to Daryl's tent to put the amulet into my bag with the two photos. The last thing I wanted was to lose it. Both the photo and now the amulet were the last things I had of my mother and they meant more to me than anyone could ever know. Like a piece of me had finally been found.

I then walked back to the house and sat on the steps for a while, engaging in the conversation Glenn and Maggie were having before Andrea and Tdog started heading towards us. Daryl and Carol joining them from the other direction.

"Do you guys know what is going on?" Tdog called.

"Where is everyone?" Andrea added.

Everyone shrugged. "You haven't seen Rick?" Glenn asked.

"He went off with Hershal. We were supposed to leave a couple hours ago." Andrea answered.

I stood up and so did Maggie. I'd seen them leaving the farm but this made no sense. Maggie becoming increasingly uncomfortable. Why wouldn't she tell me where they'd gone?

"Yeah you were." Daryl snapped back. "What the hell."

"Rick told us he was going out." Carol then said, a wave of fear washing over her.

Daryl shook his head and stormed over to the steps in front of us all. "Damn it. Is anyone taking this seriously? We got us a damn trail...Oh here we go." He yelled. I looked behind him and saw Shane carrying the bag of guns and, immediately, I knew what he was planning to do. "What's all this?" He continued. The rest of us all stood watching as Shane pulled a gun from the bag.

"You with me man?" Shane asked. Daryl nodded and Shane handed him a gun. "Time to grow up. You already got yours?" He turned to Andrea, who had her gun on her belt.

"Yeah. Where's Dale." Andrea asked. That was when I remembered Dale had headed out into the woods earlier carrying the guns that Shane was now holding. He hadn't killed him, had he?

"He's on his way." Shane spat. He then handed Tdog a gun, but by the look on Tdog's face he didn't want to take it. None of us did and the way Shane spoke made me wonder if he had in fact killed Dale for the guns, like he killed Otis. Dale of all people wasn't someone to back down so easily. Not against someone like Shane.

"I thought we couldn't carry." Tdog questioned.

"Yeah, well we can and we have to. Look it was one thing when we were standing around picking daisies when we thought this place was supposed to be safe, but now we know it ain't. How about you man? Are you going to protect yours?" Shane ranted, handing Glenn a gun.

Glenn took it hesitantly and Shane turned to Maggie. "Can you shoot?"

"Can you stop?" I yelled. Someone had to try and stop him. He wasn't listening.

"You do this, you hand out these guns, then my dad will make you leave tonight." Maggie spat.

Carl, Beth and Patricia then all stood up and walked towards the edge of the steps. "We have to stay Shane!" Carl pleaded.

That was when Lori came from around the side of the house. "What is this?" She barked.

"We ain't going anywhere okay." He answered Carl. "Now look, Hershal, he's just gotta understand, okay...He's gonna have to." It was more like he was trying to convince himself than he was us. "Now we need to find Sophia, am I right?" Shane then took the gun from his belt and knelt down in front of Carl. "Now I want you to take this. You take it, Carl, and you keep your mother safe. You do whatever it takes, you know how." Carl didn't move. "Go on, take the gun and do it."

Without thinking, I quickly put myself between him and Carl as Lori pushed Carl back. "Rick said no guns. This is not your call. This is not your decision to make!" She argued.

By now, I noticed Shane had dropped the guns on the floor and I raced forward, grabbing them and tossing them onto the porch just before he could reach for another. Standing my ground and putting myself between him and them. "What are you doing? Get out of my way."

Before I could answer, Tdog got in there first.

"Oh shit." He muttered.

We all followed his gaze and, I knew all hell was about to break loose. There they were, Rick and Hershal, leading two walkers towards the barn with Jimmy clapping and hollering in front...