Chapter 5

The evening sky was filled with a chaotic amalgamation shades of every kind, the choking smell of smoke blocking daylight and bringing upon darkness across the landscape. Bright flames cackled into fierce infernos as crows took flight to scavenge their next meal, picking at bits of meat from fallen humans, most charred beyond recognisable degree.

Chaos was loomed all around, leaving behind an aftermath of perpetual destruction. A kid knelt on the ground, eyes fixated on the environment in shock as his beacon of golden wings illuminated brightly, his mind finally returning to reality. Epiphany dawned on him, eventually discovering the sins he had committed. The home he was once in, now dissipated to ashes, along with his beloved parents.

The kid looked at his own bloodstained hands that trembled like a bunch of leaves in a storm. With widened eyes, his mind slowly deprived itself of sanity as his sense of self trinkled away into a descending ring of torment.

●●●

Henry started himself awake with a gasp, shaken up from his own slumber, heaving and drenched in cold sweat. It took a moment for him to finally drink in his existence, looking around the area to find him in a familiar white space. An infirmary, silent with only the whistling of the air-conditioner keeping the room cool. The afternoon sun shone into the windows of the room, greeting Henry with it's blinding rays.

Henry placed a hand on his forehead, cringing at the mild headache before shaking his head slowly to brush it off, letting out a heavy sigh as he slowly sat up from the bed. He felt his body sore and stiff from not moving for so long.

How long was he asleep? Two days? Three days? It felt like a long while.

"You're finally awake."

A voice caused Henry to look up. His brown eyes met Jae's, who entered the room with a grateful smile. Henry smiled weakly at his presence.

"I guess so." He croaked, his throat also dry. "How long was I gone?"

"Three days."

"Three... days?"

"Yup. Kevin brought you to the infirmary, then left without saying anything. When the doctors checked, your body seemed to be in extreme stress and your magical energy was unstable." Jae raised his hands and points to his wrist. "That's why you are wearing those bracelets, for now. Its a safety measure. Sir Von Caelus will think of something better for you soon."

Henry lifted up his hands to look at the pair of braces wrapped on both of his wrists. It is not just a bracelet, but magical suppressors built to not overload one's usage of magic, keeping it to a controlled level.

Jae continued, "it is also found that you have been suppressing your magic, so your body can no longer hold it. Which was what causes the issues you have been experiencing. Think of it like a hatchling trying to break out of an egg. Your body is that egg, and that hidden power of yours wants to break out."

Henry's expression turned to confusion, which prompted for Jae to look at him intently.

"Do you know... you are a Chimera?" Jae's tone changed, speaking slowly and seriously, as though his words struck true. Yet there was not just the deep concern, but confusion in his own sense at his former mentee's puzzled look.

"I am a what?" Henry asked back, unable to process the speculation.

"Your power isn't just x-ray vision, Henry. Can't you recall having more than one?"