Chapter 1: Haunting Vision

"I'm so excited to see Baliyo!" Rani squealed. Kion chuckled, "Would you be more excited to see him or me?"

"I can't decide on that. I love you both equally," Rani nuzzled him. Kion purred, "Fair enough."

Kion noticed his dad sitting at the edge of Priderock, "One second, Rani." He ran toward him, "Dad you okay?"

"Yeah I'm fine. It's just...I don't like traveling," Simba admitted.

"Why?"

"Because I had to travel so far away from here when Scar ruled," Simba explained.

"Ooh! That makes sense," Kion nodded his head looking at the landscape.

"You sure we'll be fine?" Simba asked. Kion chuckled, "I've traveled many times in my life. We'll be fine."

Simba sighed, "If you say so." Kion nuzzled him, "Trust me on this." Simba smiled, "I will."

"So why are we going to the Tree Of Life again?" Kovu asked. "Because Rani needs to see her brother and because we could all use a break from here," Kiara replied.

"Oh right."

"You have the worst brain on the planet," Kiara chuckled and ruffled his mane. Kovu smiled.

"Are we all ready?" Nala asked. Kion nodded, "Yup. The Lion Guard will be taking care of the Pridelands while we're away."

"Perfect. Well, let's go!" Rani giggled and ran out of Priderock.

Kion laughed and slowly walked after her.

Suddenly, the ground started shaking and the ground split open right under Rani's paws.

"Rani!" Kion roared. She dug her claws into the ground as it slowly separated. Rani clenched her eyes shut as she was being pulled apart.

"Rani! I'm coming!" Kion ran toward her, but he was too late. She had ripped in half. Kion backed away, "Rani!"

He turned back to his family. Simba was hanging on for death life as the ground opened up more. He lost his grip and fell into the bottomless pit.

"No!"

Nala lost her balance as the ground shook and she smashed her head on a rock.

Kion looked at Priderock as it slowly started crumbling apart. Kiara was right under it. "Kiara!" Kion roared. It was too late. The rocks had smashed down onto Kiara.

Kovu stared at Kion. Kion looked up, and a branch fell down and impaled him.

Kion gasped and looked around. He was in Priderock, his family getting ready to leave.

"Are we all ready?" Nala asked.

Everyone nodded.

"Perfect! Well, let's go!" Rani hopped out of Priderock.

Kion thought for a moment then his eyes widened, "The ground! Earthquake!" Rani turned around, confused. Kion grabbed her and shoved her out of the way. He watched as the ground split apart. This time, Priderock was unharmed.

Kion looked down on Rani who he had pinned to the ground, "Are you alright? You aren't hurt are you?"

"N-No...I-I'm fine..." Rani stammered.

"How did you know that was going to happen?" Kovu asked, still quite in shock.

"I-I had a vision," Kion replied as he got off Rani.

"A vision?" Nala raised an eyebrow.

"Y-Yeah. T-The earthquake started and...and Rani was right in the center. S-She was holding on to both sides and split in half. T-Then dad fell into the hole. M-Mom l-lost her balance and smashed her head on a rock. P-Priderock collapsed and crushed Kiara. Then a-a branch came down and impaled me...Kovu was the only one who survived..." Kion explained.

Simba's eyes widened, "This is why I don't like traveling!"

Rani rubbed her body against Kion's, both of them were quite scared.

"Thank you. You saved my life."

Kion rested his chin on her head, "I would never let anything happen to you."

"Kion, we need to see Rafiki, now. We have to figure out how you saw us die, then you saved us from that," Nala stated.

"I agree," Kovu replied.

"O-Okay. W-We'll go see Rafiki," Kion said, shaking.

They arrived at Rafiki's tree. They all climbed up.

"Rafiki!" Nala roared. Rafiki jumped down in front of them, "What does the Royal Family need from ol' Rafiki,"

"There was an earthquake by Priderock. Kion had a vision where he saw it happen and it killed everyone except Kovu. But Kion stopped us and we all survived. We want to know why," Kiara ordered.

"Hmm," Rafiki rubbed his chin. "It appears you've cheated death."

"Excuse me what now?" Simba asked.

"You avoided dying thanks to Kion's vision. This is...not good," Rafiki shook his head.

"What are you talking about? We're all alive! How is that not good!" Rani snarled.

"Easy now. I'll explain. You were all supposed to die in that earthquake. It is strange that Kovu didn't die in the vision."

"But what does that have to do with anything?" Kion asked.

"Kion, you cheated death by having this vision. And of course to you all, that might seem great that you got another chance at life. But I'll tell you this now. Death doesn't like to be cheated," Rafiki said in a menacing voice.

"W-What does that mean?" Simba asked.

"I've seen this kind of thing before. And it's always different every time. You'll just have to wait and see," Rafiki explained.

"But-" Rafiki cut Nala off. "Sorry, but that is all I know. Bye now!" Rafiki shooed the Royal Family away.

Kion couldn't get what Rafiki said out of his mind, "Death doesn't like to be cheated." He mumbled.

"You okay, Kion?" Rani asked.

"I'm not sure. I have this gnawing feeling in my stomach."

"I know you're still scared after what Rafiki said, but he's old. He doesn't know what he's saying. You saved us all. Isn't that proof enough that we were meant to live?"

"I mean...I guess so," Kion sighed.

"Hey, lighten up. At least now we can go to the tree!" Rani smiled.

"Yeah."

As they were walking back to Priderock, Kion kept hearing whispers. "Death doesn't like to be cheated. Death doesn't like to be cheated. Death doesn't like to be cheated!"

Even after what Rani said, Kion couldn't get rid of the feeling that they were still in danger.