𝟏𝟎 | web of lies

CHAPTER WAS RE-WRITTEN

NO MATTER WHAT I DO, someone will end up getting hurt. In this web of lies we are all tied together. One mistake could bring us down. So, choose wisely because when you change your mind it'll be far too late. 

For a split second, Ines was seeing shadows. She thought she was close to death. That had to be the explanation for seeing things. Pain stabbed at her lungs, as she took one step further inside HQ. She pressed her palm to her side, as she stuck to the wall, struggling to calm down for a second. She fluttered her eyes as sweat beamed down her forehead. For a moment, she could have sworn she saw her fathers blurry face.

"You should've called for backup" His harsh tone added to the intensity of her pain, making it hard to focus on anything really, especially with the holographic neon lights spreading across. Ines blinked several times to adjust. "Why didn't you?" his voice was low, dangerously low. A flicker of red danced between his pupils. Ines swallowed her thick salvia, holding her ground. Her mouth was sealed shut, not daring to look him in the eyes because she knew if she did words would just spew out of her mouth so easily. She didn't want to say something she'd later regret.

Miguel heavily exhaled. His chest began to heave as his hands were now on her, feeling just how limp her body had gotten. The malice in his body disappeared and was instantly replaced with fear. Without warning he grabbed the back of her thighs and lifted her up and laid her on the nearest flat surface. Ines widened her eyes, holding onto his arms for a good second.

"Hold still" he said, leaving her side for a minute before returning with the first aid kit. It was unfortunate that she was not among the Spider people that could heal themselves naturally. In that aspect she was..mundane, very human.

Ines sighed, still avoiding his eyes in embarrassment and shame, "You don't have to—" without any warning he dabbed the cotton ball that was laced with rubbing alcohol. "Puta" she hissed, moving her head back.

"Don't move" he said, moving her chin to continue cleaning her neck. His other hand is holding onto hers mostly for moral support. An awkward silence passed by as he continued to tend to her wounds. Ines eyes never leaving his. Her train of thoughts were spiraling out of control, jumping from one thing to another. Ultimately, trying to figure out how to make things right. Like as if everything was her fault, but really it was Gwen Stacy's fault. And yet, no matter how much trouble the situation was causing Miguel, Ines still sympathized with the teenage Spider-Woman.

"What?" His thick brows scrunching up.

"I didn't say anything."

"You don't have to. You're forehead always tenses when you're in deep thought" His thumb gently pressed against the skin above her right brown, feeling her muscles ease by his touch. 

"Fine, just don't take this out on her" Ines prayed about Gwen in her thoughts, "She's just a kid."

Miguel scoffed at this, harshly tossing the bloody rag to her side. His hands pressed against his hips. "She knew what the job was when Jess gave it to her. That kid is a liability."

"We all make mistakes, Miguel" Ines retorted.

"Enough to put the arachno-humanoid-polymultiverse in danger?" he glared.

"You did."

Silence fell over them. I should've kept my mouth shut. Ines sighed, closing her eyes. This was the last thing she wanted. Ines got off the table. Her hand reached for Miguels hand, already ready to apologize. However, his back was turned towards her to hide his disappointment. Not a single day went by where he did not think of his daughter's disappearance. Video after video gave him no satisfaction for the hole punctured inside his chest. And surely this just made it worse then it could get.

"I.." she wasn't sure where to begin. Anticipation had built up. She was starting to wonder which version of Miguel she was going to get in a matter of seconds—the one who would go off on her or the one who'd comfort her. Regardless of it, she was still going to care for him. And that's what terrified her.

Ines gently placed her hand over his arm, scanning his face with her eyes softly gazing over him. His gruff demeanor faltered for a split second. Her hand was gentle against his russet brown skin, moving her thumb absently over his cheekbone, back and forth.

"I'm sorry, okay? It shouldn't have said that—"

"Guys, we've got a problem!" Lyla frantically appeared at Miguel's side. Ines pulled away looking down to her gizmo where the holographic screen made a obnoxious alarm, "ASM—90. CANNON EVENT DISRUPTED."

"Puta Madre!" his jaw hardened. His fist went flying to one of the nearby screens. Ines froze. Her hand dropped from Miguel's side. She took several steps back, wondering how to help him in all of this, but whenever he got angry like this she didn't know what to do. Her thoughts spiraled, putting a pause on time.

"Go" he wasn't asking.

"Miguel—" That was all she could spit out. His chest was heavy, trying his hardest to control himself, but whatever was going on inside his mind seemed like it was beyond Ines's control.

"I said, 'go.'"

Their eyes never locked after that. The only sound that could be heard was Ines's gizmo watch, followed by the screams of the wind.

Lyla appeared again, flashing to Miguel's shoulder, raising her thin brows, "you sure you wanna do this?"

Miguel took a deep breath. He didn't want her to go back, but he couldn't let their beautiful web fall apart. Giving up wasn't an option. His red pupils stared down at the model.

ASM 139: IN THIRTY MINUTES

And if Ines is strong enough, she'll see it too.