chapter four

Sarah continued to puke for the next two weeks and she decided to finally visit a doctor.

"Good morning! I have an appointment with Dr. Holland under the name Sarah Smith" Sarah said politely to the doctor's secretary. "Yes, I found your appointment Ms. Smith. Dr. Holland will see you now" the secretary replied to the girl.

After giving all the information about the past 3 weeks to the doctor, Sarah asked him what could be possibly wrong with her. The doctor explained that some tests must be taken before he can tell her what was going on, but he, himself, had an idea..

After a few minutes, the tests and everything the doctor needed to check was done and the girl sat anxiously on the hospital's bed, waiting for the results. "I'm afraid you were wrong Ms. Smith.." the doctor explains the girl. "What do you mean wrong Dr. Holland?" Sarah asked impatient. "You are, Indeed, pregnant miss, congratulations!" the doctor answered happily. Sarah was frozen. She was freaking out inside. She didn't know what to do, where to go, who to tell. She was terrified.

After the doctor gave her some advice on what she should do to take care of herself while she was pregnant, Sarah finally left the hospital and went back home.

She didn't want to talk to anybody, not even Chris and Nick. She betrayed them after everything their family has done for her and she felt awful. Matt continues to avoid her every single day, pretending as if she doesn't exist.

That night Sarah cried herself to sleep. The next morning she puked again then went downstairs to eat breakfast and talk to her parents. She had to tell them.

"Good morning mom and dad" the girl greeted her parents. "Good morning sweetheart, how are you feeling today?" Evelyn asked her daughter. "I'm better mom don't worry. That's why I wanted to speak to you actually.." Sarah was nervous to reveal her parents her pregnancy and they noticed. "What's wrong, honey?" Derek asked concerned about his daughter's health.

"I uhm.. I'm...." she lets out a shaky breath, "I'm pregnant." the girl finally dares to say. She tilted her head upwards to see their reactions. She shouldn't though. They were furious! Her father immediately started to insult his daughter and she started crying. He was so furious that she was pregnant not even one month after she turned eighteen, that he even called her a slut and left his own daughter crying while he stormed out of the house. Her mother was too stunned to speak, she was shocked and disappointed with her daughter. She shook her head and left the house too.

Sarah was a crying mess by now. She didn't expect her parents to be happy about it but she definitely didn't expect this reaction either. She didn't know where to go, but she wouldn't stay here another night. She packed all her belongings and clothes and immediately went to her best friends' house, where she felt loved and wanted, it was her secret safe place, that's what she used to call it when she was a little child.

When she arrived there, she took some deep breaths before finally knocking on the door. She was in such a hurry that she didn't realise the father of her child was living in that house until he was the one who opened the door. The pair made eye contact for more than 30 seconds until Matt realised Sarah's face. She was red and puffy from all the crying and her eyes were watery. He immediately opened his door and let her in. "Where are the boys?" Sarah asked quietly. "Nick and Chris aren't here right now, they went at my grandparents with mom, dad and Justin, I was just about to go too. I didn't go with them because I just came back from the dentist" Matt answered the girl's question.

She didn't know what to do. She came here to feel better and she was feeling worse, if that was even possible. Her breath started to quicken and her heart started to pound faster against her chest. Matt noticed the sudden change and he immediately knew that she was having a panic attack. "Hey, hey shh calm down. Sarah please look at me, try to focus on my voice please" the boy pleaded her as he placed his arms on her shoulders.
"Try to match my breathing, okay? One breath in and one breath out. You got this, you just have to look at me" the boy continued. Sarah finally looked at the boy in front of her but she couldn't match her breathing with his own.

"Shit. Why isn't it working?" the boy started to get more worried than before, "alright listen to me okay? Find five things you can see and name them to me please" Matt continued. "I see... the floor.. the ceiling... a table.. the couch... and.... you.." Sarah forced out. "Great! You're doing awesome. Now find four things you can listen and name them to me please" the boy repeats. "Uhmm.. you... birds... cars... and.... people..talking...from outside.." the girl continues to answer his questions. "Perfect. I'm so proud of you. Now please find three things you can smell and name them for me", "I can smell... your perfume... your... shampoo.... and my.... perfume."

It was working, Sarah wasn't paying attention to her panic attack and it slowly drifted away.

"Awesome. Now can you find 2 things you can taste?" Matt asked the girl, knowing his plan was working. "I can taste strawberry... and... uhmm... lemon" the girl answered as she was chewing gum before. "Alright. Now last but not least, can you please find me one thing you can feel?" the boy asked his final question, waiting for her answer. "Yes.. uhm I can.. feel you" said the girl as her breathing had calmed down. "How did you do that?" Sarah asks impressed and thankful to the boy in front of her. "I've had some panic attacks of my own" the boy admitted.

The pair sat in silence as the girl continued to calmed down completely.

"Thank you so much, Matt. That was really impressive" the girl truthfully admitted. "No problem Sarah. I just.. uhmm..what caused your panic attack?" the boy finally asked. "I uhm... I have a lot on my mind right now. That's why I actually came here for.. Can I uhm, stay here for a little while? I got into an argument with my parents and I left.." the girl admitted embarrassed. "Yes, of course. I'll call mom and dad to let them know and I'll go get the guest room ready for you." Matt answered politely.

After a few minutes, Sarah drunk some water in the kitchen while she was waiting for Matt. "Mom and dad said okay with you staying over for as long as you want" Matt smiled as he informed the girl about what happened in the call with his parents. "I also told them I won't be visiting grandma today so I'll be with you whenever you need me" he comforted her. "You didn't have to do that Matt" Sarah already felt bad for intriguing in their family. "Don't worry about it, I can visit them tomorrow if I want to. Now my main concern is you. Are you sure you're okay? You can talk to me if you want" Matt replied to the girl.

"Thank you, I really appreciate it Matt. You've already helped enough and I'll be forever grateful to you for that. I just want to be alone for a while".