Chapter 12

a/n 

i'm going to edit so there are the dates and times of year just so it matches the timeline of the series and you know where we're at!

i couldn't wait!!

enjoy :)

(August 2019)

Emily pov

Over the coming few months, I had tried to talk to her, but every time I would I heard the shaky breath she'd let out echoed in my mind. I couldn't do it.

We had slipped into a cold silence, working well together but nothing more. I often felt the looming presence of unspoken words gripping firmly onto the younger woman but she never allowed them to break free.

I had allowed the distance to consume me, my nights becoming sleepless, thoughts of her constantly lingering; I stuck to what she had asked of me, I stayed away as much as possible, becoming a ghost to the unit, only existing in my office and declining offers to go out with the team. If she wouldn't open up around me, at least if I'm not there she can develop a relationship with the team. And that's what she did.

I watched the summer months go by as she quickly became a part of the family at the BAU. Each person quickly warmed to her, each finding something about her to love; JJ, Matt and y/n bonded over the children in their lives; Rossi adopted a paternal role over her; as expected, Penelope and y/n's bright personalities blended perfectly and they soon became inseparable; Spencer would often start debates on their common topics of knowledge, and get lost to games of chess on the jet to cases; Luke and y/n would bicker relentlessly almost in a sibling like rivalry; Tara and her former student continued as they were, often spending time on drives with their cars, inviting Rossi along too once he caught wind.

The team had noticed the distance I had put between myself and them, leaving them all confused but knowing I'd probably come around eventually. I'd had occasional visits from each member of the team individually over the past few months inviting me out for nights at Rossi's, or the bar, or just trying to get me to break my distance but I wouldn't budge. They tried to offer a shoulder to lean on but theirs wasn't the shoulder I needed.

This silence was somehow worse than the one we'd had after our first meeting, heavy with unspoken words of regret, and words of admittance. Somehow it felt as if I had been cut off from something I didn't know I needed until it was taken from me. Throughout the past 2 months I had ultimately decided that making myself walk away from her wasn't even a choice; she was the only option.

And so I made my final decision after months of tossing and turning, I would talk to her, and make things right. I didn't want to go a second without her anymore.

Just as I'd decided, I heard a knock at the door, and watched Tara walk in. 'Hey Boss!'

'What can I do for you Tara?'

'I was just requested to go to San Quentin to conduct some interviews, but I can't go because my first class of the semester is today,' She started. 'Now I was thinking I'd ask y/n to conduct them, I mean she knows my techniques flawlessly, and she's got her own charm about her, don't you think?' Her persuasive tone didn't go unnoticed as she shamelessly pointed out all of our newest agents good attributes. 'But I also think you should go to. It would be her first time, and I don't want her first interview to be on her own.'

'Yeah of course, I agree. Go let her know for me?' I asked slightly tentatively knowing that if I asked she might be less than willing to come, but this was a good opportunity for her.