ʜᴀʀᴅ ᴡᴏʀᴋᴇʀ | ᴍᴀʀɪᴀ ʜɪʟʟ

"Last summer went well... I don't know why this one would be any different" I mumbled to myself as I got ready for my first day back at the coffee shop. While I was choosing the perfect black pants to wear, I started overthinking every single situation that could go wrong, and her name just popped up out of nowhere. Maria.

I had this silly crush on her last year but it was only physical. Lust, not love. I mean, I'm pretty sure it was. From what I know, she has a boyfriend and they're in a very serious and committed relationship. Something I never had the chance to experience. I'm still young though. Which nineteen years old lesbian has ever been in a serious non-toxic same town relationship? Absolutely fucking none.

Anyway, I closed my front door and started my motorcycle. The ride was short as I lived very close from the main street where the small shop was located. When I arrived the boss, Wanda, was waiting for me. She gave me the card I needed to access the employee's rooms. It was quick as I already knew how things worked around the place. We would have two new seasonal employees this summer, Kate and Peter. They were supposed to start a week after me.

Carol almost jumped in my arms when I walked out of the lockers' room. "Oh my god you're back!" she said excitedly as she wrapped her arms around me. "I'm so happy that you're back" she whispered.

"Well, I'm happy to be back. I kind of missed working here" I admitted earning a large smile from the blonde woman. As we caught up a little bit about what happened to us during the past year I noticed a familiar figure walking towards us. Dark red hair tied up in a low messy bun, soft waves falling here and there on her shoulders. Her short-sleeved shirt revealing roses tattooed on her arm. Natasha.

She wasn't just a regular employee, she was more of a second boss, and I held her in high regard. Wanda created all this and Natasha helped keeping it together, if that makes sense. I don't know why I have that much respect towards that woman, maybe it's just the vibe she gives off. She's very charming and charismatic, almost intimidating. Well at least she intimidates me. I didn't really work with her last summer as she was on vacation for half of the time I worked there.

We had a quick talk about how she was happy that we were going to work with each other more often. After that, we started the actual work. I had to fill in the customer's fridge and get used to how the cash register worked. I knew how it worked, I had just lost the ability to use it fast and efficiently, but I'll get used to it again eventually.

A few hours went by, and still no sign of Maria... I didn't check the schedule to see if she worked today, maybe because I was scared she would. I'm almost sure I didn't really have an actual crush on her, but the idea of seeing her again makes my stomach feel weird.

"I'm going to eat; you want to come with me or...?" Natasha's voice spoke up behind me pulling me out of my thoughts.

"Yeah! I'd love that" I agreed grabbing the stuff I needed for my lunch break.

At first it was a bit awkward sitting next to the slightly older woman. We never had a real conversation before, so I had no idea where to start. Eventually we started talking about her family, what it was like to have a child and at some point she asked the question I wanted to avoid at all costs.

"What about you, do you have a boyfriend?" she shifted her position to face me.

"Oh god, no" I laughed slightly embarrassed.

"Well, that's a strong 'no'!" she used my tone to repeat the word.

"I'm uh... I'm not interested in having a boyfriend. I'm only nineteen, I don't want a relationship. There's other things I'd like to focus on" I smiled shyly in an unsuccessful attempt to end the topic.