xi. Totentanz

"She dances to a frightful tune; her steps are guided by the seemingly endless notes and chords of her own desires."

〜〜〜*〜〜〜

The grey clouds above pounded their ominous drums, sending thunderous echoes throughout the city of Tokyo. Brilliant flashes of lightning flit across the sky, providing a brisk glimpse of the dark alleyways below. The rain relentlessly fell, seaping into the gutters and soaking the ground ...

The water mingled with the blood from the child's corpse, suspending the liquid and carrying it further from its source. Tsuki's legs lay underneath herself, her expanded eyes staring in horror at the two men with suitcases in hand and bodies cloaked in gray trench coats. She knew what they were and she knew that her end was inevitable. Her strength hadn't yet been fully replenished, so her attacks against them would be in vain, especially when they weilded their own quinque. She blinked her eyes at them, then shifted her attention down to the mutilated child.

How could she bear to fight them when she deserved whatever deathly punishment they offered? Tsuki had been a murderer and she felt it only fair that she be given the same fate as her victim.

"Targeting helpless children now, are we? You ghouls truly are just like animals," he chuckled. Clicking of his suitcase's latch, the white-haired man smirked, a psychotic gleam in his pale brown eyes. "Not even gonna put up a fight?" he jeered, grinning as he released his red and tan centipede-like quinque from its holder and hardening it, pointing it directly at her.

Tsuki slightly bowed her head, her eyes closed and hands delicately lying upon her lap. So, she thought, internally mocking herself. This is how the curtain closes on me---the ghoul who managed to fool and amaze thousands of humans. The one who masqueraded about as if she was nothing more than a virtuoso on the piano? She smiled to herself as the tears trickled from her ducts, dancing pleasantly along with the rain droplets that fell from her bangs to her blood-splattered cheeks.

"I could try to put up a fight," she murmured, her head still bowed. "But I realize what a sin I have committed and ... justice must be served unto me."

The man snickered, the gesture taunting the black-haired woman. "You ghouls ..." he said, another bout of laughter expelling from his mouth. "You dress it up like you're human ... when really you're all just mindless beasts!" he exclaimed, raising his quinque up to strike her down.

Tsuki lifted her chocolate eyes upward and stared at the stolen rinkaku tail. She then turned her attention over to the fellow standing cautiously next to the white-haired man---he was tall and brooding, his dark brown hair soaked by the rain and navy eyes gawking at her in a confused manner. From that expression, she knew he was baffled by her actions, perhaps it wasn't his first time encountering a ghoul who performed a similar, passive act.

Her attention drifted up to the rapidly descending weapon and watched as the sharp prongs glinted ferociously in the flashes of light provided by the stormy sky. She closed her eyes and smiled. I suppose I've led a good enough life, she thought, opening them to watch the menacing quinque grow closer. I still would have liked to have played the piano once more tho---

Her thoughts were interrupted by a sudden heavy force lunging towards her and carrying her out of the weapon's crosshairs. She was dropped upon the ground almost five feet from where it struck.

"Aw!" whined the white-haired man as he stared at the cracked concrete, whipping the weapon from it and sending it back into the air. "Look, Amon-kun, another ghoul's come to rescue her---how sweet!" he laughed, his left eye wide in an almost impossible measure.