xv. Liebestraum

"Night and day are like two sides of a coin: one cannot exist without the other. The sun and moon are on the most intimate of terms with one another; their cycle to die each day for one another and be reborn the next has given way for man to be guided down his path to oblivion."

〜〜〜*〜〜〜

The sun was fading across the evening sky over Nerima, casting vibrant hues of orange and blazing red upon the many buildings that dotted the streets. Tsuki had spent her entire day at her workplace, surrounding herself with her coworkers and the few people who ventured into that inviting bookstore for an enticing piece of literature that offered them some source of comfort, however small it might have been.

Tsuki opted to collecting any abandoned books and placing them back upon their rightful shelf. With a heavy sigh, she glanced over at the head librarian, Bunko, in her office and strode towards her. Halting outside of her door, Tsuki exhaled a deep breath she had been holding in and knocked delicately, yet assertively.

Removing herself from her chair, Bunko scuffled over to the door and opened it. Her charming eyes slowly drifted up to examine the young woman before her. "Good evening, Ume-chan," she greeted, a sweet smile adorning her wrinkled features. Noticing the younger woman's distressed demeanor, Bunko tilted her head to the side and sent her an inquisitive expression. "Is something the matter, Ume-chan?"

Tsuki hesitated before speaking, but managed to force the words out. "Good evening," she replied, though, her tone was less than cheerful. Swallowing the lump in her throat, she brushed her ebony locks behind her ears and bowed slightly. "I ... I would like to ... resign," she said, causing the elderly woman to frown and furrow her sparse, gray eyebrows.

Stepping down from her stool, she walked out from behind the counter and to Tsuki's side. Outstretching her thin arms, she beckoned her with her frail, waving fingers to return the embrace.

Awkwardly, she complied to her wish and hugged Bunko.

The deteriorating woman whispered something into Tsuki's ear, causing her eyes to widen. As she released Bunko from her clutches, she lowered her gaze and scolded herself.

"H-How long have you ... known?" Tsuki inquired, her voice muffled and hushed.

"Since the night those two men were killed and left in that alley," she admitted, a small smile apparent on her lips. Bunko merely examined the girl, grasping of her hand own hands and massaging them in a relaxing manner. "You're not like the others, Ume-chan; you see the true evil in this world and seek to bring an end to anyone who wishes harm on the ones you hold dear, don't you?"

Taken aback to the night before, Tsuki cringed at Bunko's words. However true they might have been, she had brought an end to someone who could have potentially gone on to achieve great things, and that plagued her very thoughts: what might have been, had she not mercilessly slain that innocent child?

"I ... I don't want to hurt anyone," Tsuki murmured, fluctuating her chocolate eyes cautiously around the room, glancing at the few people that were present in the library.

Bunko's lips spread even wider as she took hold of Tsuki's hand and caressed the top of it with her scrawny thumb. "Your gift is a curse, but a blessing unto others; your ambition to sway from that stereotype, to lay down your own path to follow, is what brings joy to these old bones, Ume-chan." Bunko's grip tightened around Tsuki's hand; she flinched slightly, though, not from the pressure, but from the sheer determination that lingered in the aged woman's wide eyes. "I know you'll do what's right once you leave here ..."

Tsuki hesitantly smiled, reassuring the woman of her words.

〜〜〜*〜〜〜

"... the talented violinist and cellist, Erik Adessi, and his accompanist---one of our very own---Tsuki Nomura!"