xiv. Introduction & Rondo Capriccioso

"Darkness enshrouds her exterior, however, the light inside her heart is enough to dispel any horror that dare threaten to succumb it."

〜〜〜*〜〜〜

Whispers of the crowd echoed through the ranks and off the beige, column-adorned walls. Their many pairs of anticipating eyes wandered around the massive room, searching for a sign that the event was about to begin. Without a moment's warning, the lights faded off of the audience. A spotlight flickered on, directing its white, bright ray at the heavy, red velvet curtains slowly opening to reveal the waxed hardwood flooring and a satin black grand Yamaha at its center with a single, middle-aged, tailcoat clad fellow standing in front of it.

He looked to his right and smiled, his arm outstretched in the direction his onyx eyes were glancing. Casually, he peered up at the crowd and prepared himself to announce the names of those that were about to walk out.

All fell silent within the room as they watched for the performers to make their appearance on stage. Once their excited orbs caught sight of the young pair, their hands erupted into a bout of clapping, the applause reminding the two instrumentalists---a girl and a foreign boy---of the pouring rain ensuing outside of the theatre.

The kind man introduced them as Tsuki Nomura and Erik Adessi, then bowed to the excessive audience and left the stage, leaving the pair to theirselves on that marvelously-lit stage. The two respectively bowed to the crowd and nodded subtly to one another; they knew their duty and were prepared to see it through.

Erik---his hair a pale, ashen blond and eyes a deep, royal blue---positioned himself nearly four feet from the stool of the piano, then hefted the ancient violin upward, propping his chin against its black base.

Tsuki---her long, brown hair tied sweetly into an elegant French braid and chocolate eyes adorned in a natural pair of lashes and winged eyeliner---took her seat behind the clunky piano.

The young woman's attire was formal and spectacular: a dark, red silk gown that stretched to her ankles with a pair of glistening flats and a small, silver necklace around her slim neck. Erik's attire was suitable as well, his pale complexion clothed in a black tuxedo and a burgundy tie to match his accompanist's dress.

Tsuki lifted the ebony veil over the piano's keys, her eyes affectionately examining them. She peered over at Erik, who glanced back to her. With a simple nod of her head, Tsuki signified she was ready to begin.

Erik then fixated his gaze on the tips of his gleaming, black shoes. His ears perked up at the sound of Tsuki pressing the first few soft series of chords and notes. Almost immediately after the last key in the stanza was struck, he closed his eyes, then gently nuzzled the bow's hairs against the strings and commenced in executing his portion of the piece.

Keeping perfect rhythm with one another, they held the audience in a sort of trance, the subtlety of each sequence drawing their ears further into a world of sheer bliss. Camille Saint-Saëns' "Introduction & Rondo Capriccioso" called for the utmost and highly attentive instrumentalists; Tsuki and Erik had practiced the intricate composition until their hands were left cramping and fingers calloused.

As they neared the end of the piece, Tsuki glanced over at Erik's back and smiled as she watched him sway as he played, almost as if some exhilarated being had taken hold of him, possessing his every movement in a manner that left her heart racing with glee. Shifting her attention back onto her hands, she witnessed as her fingers seemingly danced along with the sharp sound of his violin; however, they knew their place and performed only what had been etched into them.

Erik smiled to himself as they carried the performance to a close with a swift, sweet, nostalgic waltz of the two instruments, he, and Tsuki. The crowd promptly stood to their feet, an exceptionally ecstatic applause erupting from them. Lowering his violin to his side, his sweaty palm still grasping the neck and right hand clinging to the bow, Erik looked back at Tsuki and beckoned for her to join him in a bow.

The young brunette smiled, removing herself from the stool, then gracefully strode up to his side. Tsuki and Erik returned their generous appraisal with their bow and gave them a once-over before leaving the stage.

As they were about to enter the room to say their farewells to the orchestrators of their performance, Tsuki grabbed ahold of Erik's coarse, black sleeve; he halted and glanced back at her.

"What is it, Tsu-chan?" he asked, a searching expression marring his stern features. A sudden look of horror spread across his face as he swallowed the figurative lump in his throat. "Pl-Please don't tell me that I ... I messed up; I tried my hardes---"

She shook her head, silencing him, her head hunkered and face hidden. "N-No," she murmured, a small smile twitching at the edges of her mouth. Tsuki released his sleeve, then dragged her chocolate eyes upward to examine him. "It's just that," she paused, a delicate rose color gradually painting her olive cheeks. She awkwardly laughed and looked away from him. "It's just that ... y-you're a spectacular violinist, E-Erik!"

Erik sighed and rubbed the back of his neck, a gruff chuckle escaping his thin, pink lips. "Th-Thanks, Tsu-chan," he said, placing his bow and violin in the same hand. "You're a pretty great piano-player."

Tsuki slightly frowned as she caught herself inhaling his enticing scent; she was a ghoul and couldn't fight back the urge to partake of his delightful aroma. With a smile, she subtly nodded and scurried by him. "See you later, Erik," she exclaimed, hurrying through the door to the backstage changing rooms.

The blond curiously watched her leave his sight, then smiled goofily to himself. "Yeah ... see you later, too, Tsu-chan."

〜〜〜*〜〜〜

"... daughter found mangled in an alleyway. Authorities managed to determine she had, indeed, been murdered, however, the rain had washed away almost all evidence, leaving them only to suspect a ghoul was at fault for the child's untimely death just moments after her parents were found in a car accident. Many believe the same person, or ghoul, who took the child's life, also played some part in the parents' as well---"

Tsuki rolled over on her couch and toppled to the floor. Groaning, she rubbed her head for a second, then reached up and snatched the remote to turn off her blaring television. Sitting up, she stared at the news reporter with an exhausted expression apparent on her face. She hadn't slept so well and waking up to the very thing that had made sleep so difficult to come by, only frustrated her even more.

She shut off the tv and climbed to her feet. Removing the crusts from her eyes, she forced herself to get ready for the stressful day ahead. Her dream had only made her yearn for the time she had spent behind the piano and the days of performing for others, namely humans, for the sake of feeling ... normal.

〜〜〜*〜〜〜

Not that long of a chapter, which I apologize for. I tried to make it as long as I could, but when I attempted to continue on, it was rather difficult (the words just wouldn't come out). However, that leaves me the opportunity to mold you guys a great fifteenth chapter. ;3