17. IT HAD TO BE YOU

LULAMA

I call in late at work on Monday morning and also send an early morning text to my lift club because I want to pass by the doctor and get started on my birth control plan. I wasn't kidding when I said I'm not ready for kids and after Sunday morning, which led to Sunday afternoon, I want to get ahold of the situation before I'm met with a surprise, a surprise that will definitely end my life, I don't even want to imagine it. Going to see the doctor also means that I can wake up late because they only open at 9 a.m.

When I get up I do the usual, I check my phone.  There's a good morning text from Bangizwe which I respond to as I get up from the bed. I don't expect him to respond immediately because I'm thinking he's already started working but just as I throw my phone on the bed it pings, leading me to pick it up again.

"Busy morning?" He asks.

"Nah, just woke up,"

"Why is that? Aren't you supposed to be at work already?"

"I'll be late, I want to pass by the doctor's office first,"

At that very moment, my phone rings as his name flashes on the screen.

"Hey," I say putting it on loud speaker so I can start making my bed, I may have overslept.

"Whats wrong?" his voice is laced with concern.

"Nothing," I respond with a smile at his panic "I just want to get on birth control,"

"Oh, okay..."

"Yeah... I'm just thinking that now that we are... You know... I just don't think now is the time to be having a baby," I say not knowing how else to say it. I know for a fact that I do not want to be with child any time soon and I hope this isn't something we are going to be arguing about.

" I understand, it's too soon and there's still a other things that we need to do,"

"Exactly!" I say a bit to loudly out of relief that this isn't being turned into a big deal and he laughs at my relief.

"Why is it sounding like you don't want to carry my baby?" He asks more seriously.

"Come on, I didn't mean it like that I just... It's -" I stop when I hear him laughing then I know he's just messing with me.

"Ngiyadlala [I'm kidding] , Any chance that I can get to make you squirm I'll use, angithi you love being stubborn,"

"Whatever, get back to work before you're caught on your phone again,"

"Wait, I actually wanted to talk to you about something when I was there but I got distracted,"

"What's up?"

"We have a lunch thing back home and I was wondering if you'd like to come with. Everyone is curious about you and they would love to meet you, but that's only if you're okay with it,"

I appreciate that this time instead of catching me off guard, he's asking in advance. It is kind of inevitable and I'd have to meet them at some point...

" You can also bring someone from your side with you, I don't want you to feel like you're being thrown in the deep end with no one that you're familiar with except me,"

"You don't want a repeat of last time,"

"I really don't,"

"I'll see, I doubt my sister will be able to come so I'll ask Adi if she's down for a trip,"

"So that's a yes, you'll come?"

"Yes," I confirm. Even though I can't see him, I swear he's smiling from ear to ear about this.