chapter 6

"I don't regret it either, (Y/N)," Miles replied, his gaze locking with yours in a steadfast affirmation of your shared journey.

"But being with you also put you in danger," he continued, his voice tinged with a mixture of concern and regret. "The Syndicate is not a forgiving organization. They don't tolerate traitors or outsiders. They would kill anyone who gets in their way, or who knows too much. And they would kill you, if they found out about us."

A shiver ran down your spine as the weight of his words settled upon you, the gravity of the situation becoming increasingly apparent.

"Is that why Peter's apartment exploded?" you asked, your voice soft but filled with urgency. "Did they find out about you?"

Miles nodded solemnly, his expression clouded by a mixture of guilt and determination. "Yes, they did. It was a trap," he admitted, his tone heavy with the weight of the truth he was about to unveil. "They somehow discovered my real identity and my mission. They hacked into my laptop and planted a bomb in it. They wanted to kill me, and destroy all the evidence I had collected. They also wanted to send a message to the agency, and to anyone else who might try to stop them."

"But they didn't count on one thing. They didn't count on you to be there," he said, a mixture of awe and affection in his eyes.

"We're a great team," he said with conviction.

"Like Bonnie and Clyde, but without the crime," you added, a soft chuckle escaping your lips at his attempt to inject some levity into the gravity of your situation.

Miles joined in your laughter. "I guess we are."

"But we're not out of the woods yet, (Y/N)," Miles continued, his tone turning serious once more. "The Syndicate is still after us. They won't stop until they catch us or kill us. And the police are after us too. They think we're involved in the explosion, or that we know something about it. They want to arrest us or interrogate us."

A sense of urgency swelled within you as you processed the dire circumstances that now enveloped your lives.

"We need to get out of here, (Y/N)," Miles urged, his voice carrying the weight of necessity. "We need to go somewhere safe, where they can't find us. We need to contact the agency and tell them what happened. We need to finish this mission, once and for all."

With a determined stance, Miles rose to his feet, his eyes fixed on you with unwavering resolve.

"Are you with me, (Y/N)?" he asked, his voice a mixture of earnestness and vulnerability. "Are you ready to do this?"

Author's note: Yes another cliffhanger :)