Chapter 46

Calloway

"We're going to break into Mosley's house."

I look each of the Shelby's in the eye. For the first time, I'm stood at the table, where Tommy would usually be. Addressing everyone. Arthur, eyebrows raised. John, in deep thought. Polly, smiling quietly. Michael, confused.

And Tommy, quietly incredulous. "Calloway, what are you doing?"

"These are blueprints," I say, stabbing at the large sheets and floorplans with my thumb. "Remind me again what your plan is, Tommy? Conduct surveillance in the city hall while Mosley gives his speech?"

He releases a short sigh. Taps out his cigarette. Inclines his head. "Yes."

"Instead of being sat around here uselessly," I say with a dark glare in his direction, "While you do so; Michael, Polly, and I will be entering Mosley's house. We'll find incriminating evidence."

"It's no good," Tommy says. "If Scotland Yard haven't acted by now, it means he's too powerful. Too high up. The police won't touch him."

"Exactly," I point out. "Which is why we're not looking for legal evidence. We're looking to destroy his reputation. Discredit him. He's only powerful while he holds favourable public opinion. Once people see what he's like, the police will act."

Tommy mulls my words over in his mind. Draws thoughtfully from his cigarette. "Could be right," he says. "What are you expecting to find?"

"I don't know yet."

His eyebrows raise. "You're planning a heist. With no idea of the target?"

"He had blackmail material in his hotel room," I point out. "Not to mention, many of his aliases. I have no doubt there'll be stuff in his house we can use against him."

Arthur shrugs. "It's not a bad idea, Tom. What's the worst that could happen, eh?"

"We could get caught," Tommy says darkly. "Arrested for breaking and entering. Any number of things."

Polly draws herself up taller. "No, we won't. They'll be with me." She nods at me, filling me with confidence. "What are you thinking, Cal?"

There's only Michael left to agree. I eye him anxiously.

"Less chance of gunfire this way," he says. "I'm all for it."

His eyes shine as he looks at me, and I fight a small smile.

"We break in through the roof," I say. "There's vents here, here, and here." I circle them on the blueprints.

"How the fuck are you going to get up there?" John asks, coming to stand beside me and examining the blueprints for himself. He combs through them. "It's three storeys high."

"Not to mention he's employed private bodyguards," Arthur says. "As I found out during my research."

"All armed," Tommy nods.

"And there's his wife to think about," Polly points out. "What if she's home?"

John snorts. "What if it's her sisters or step-mother instead?"

"Exactly," I say. "I don't know how to do any of this. That's why I need your help."

I look at Tommy. Unused to relinquishing my pride so easily. Silently pleading, and hating myself for it.

Michael crosses the room and stands beside me. He wraps an arm around my waist. I'm encompassed by the familiar scent of his cologne, the familiar feeling of his muscles against my own. I inhale deeply. We wait.

"It's a good idea, Calloway," Tommy finally says. "But you're not going alone. Arthur, John, you'll attend Mosley's speech. Bring Isaiah, and Johnny Dogs, and any others you'll need. Michael, you and I will infiltrate Mosley's home."

Polly's hands lift to her hips. "And us women? What about us, eh Tommy?"

"As I've said to Michael, we'll need you two on the phones. Coordinating everyone on the night."

"You have some bloody nerve," Polly says furiously, but I rest a reassuring hand on her shoulder.

I'm not surprised by Tommy's reaction. If anything, I should have expected it. If we fight now, openly and brazenly, he'll shut us out of future discussions.

But if we pretend to be content with our lot, he'll have no objections to us listening in to the plans. And whether he likes it or not, we'll be there on the night.

I'm not leaving Michael's side. Not on missions to take down Mosley. Not after almost losing him.

He frowns down at me once everyone's in agreement, all hustling to leave the room. "Cal, what's running through your mind?" He asks me suspiciously.

I run my hands along his tie. "It's better if you don't know," I say quietly.

Michael laughs softly, without humour. Runs his arms up the lengths of mine. "Nice try. Whatever you think you're plotting, I'll make sure it doesn't happen."

"Whatever you say, Michael." I press my lips to his, and know I'll do whatever it takes to keep him safe.

Starting with breaking into Mosley's house.