The Aftermath

Shit. Shit. Shit.

Kaycee and Sean had just finished performing Brother for the first time at a convention less than an hour ago. Less then an hour ago everything had been perfectly fine. Now things were messy and awkward and terrible.

The audience erupted into applause the minute the piece ended. It was one of the works Sean was the most proud of. Just like at the end of every public performance he walked over to Kaycee to give her either a hug, or a high five, or even just a ruffle of the hair. But for some reason that's not what happened.

The danced finished and Sean walked up to Kaycee and before he had the chance to even move his arms Kaycee had kissed him. So quick and simple as if she did it all the time. As if it was just something they do. The audience died. The screamed they cheered and they celebrated. Even Bailey looked genuinely thrilled.

Sean fought to hide his look of confusion and distress. He didn't want the hundreds of fans in the room to be aware that this was the first time something like this had happened.

Before either of them even had time to look at each other they were pulled opposite direction by congratulating friends, family members, and teachers. Not only on the choreography but on their non existent relationship.

As the chaos dies down Sean stole a look at Kaycee who looked guilty and shocked.

She hadn't planned on kissing him but when she had seen the excitement and adrenaline on his face after performing something he loved, and had worked so hard on she could help herself. She wasn't even fully aware that she felt so strongly about Sean until that moment, and part of her was sorry for him. By publicly kissing him she had taken away from his amazing creation and had instead ruled drama and conspiracy. She could already see the edits, comments and retweets this situation was going to get.

Sean walked in the front door of his home a rubbed his eyes in dismay. The two had immediately parted ways without a word when the convention had ended. He always assumed that if something like this ever happened he would just be able to ignore it and pretend it never happens, but oh how wrong he was.

" Seany?" His mom called from the dining room. " How did it go?" She asked sweetly

He only looked at her stone faced before walking up the stairs and closing his bedroom door.

His mom texted him asking for answers but he couldn't bring himself to answer. He stayed locked in his room for days pondering the events and how to move forward.

The issue was never that he didn't feel anything for Kaycee, because he did. He had always loved her so much. Their platonic friendship and soulmate quality is what draws the fans in, but he had never stopped to wonder what would happen if one day their friendship changed. What did that mean for the business? What did that means for branding? What did that mean for them?

He thought back to his choreography and how if they were together maybe it would have looked slightly different. Maybe instead of an exchanged look there could be a legitimate meaningful hug in the middle of the dance. Things he had been to afraid to add in fear of make it Kaycee uncomfortable.

Three days later he was sent the directors cut of the video to look through before he posted it to YouTube. The dance was amazing and their timing was in sync, he smiled watching it.

He watched as the camera panned out to show a cheering audience and Sean walking over to Kaycee. He played the moment again and again and again. He sat for hours replaying the one moment.

He knew the camera man had filmed the kiss but for some reason he was still suprsied to see it with his own eyes. He was even more surprised when he noticed how natural it looked. The fear he knew he had been feeling in that moment was hidden. Through the screen and to onlookers everything looked fine.