Hell I - The First Call

Life is a story made of opportunities. And often, the most important ones are the ones you don't expect. I had gotten mine: admission to Human University wasn't what I expected, but it was undoubtedly what I wanted, not so much for the university itself but mainly for the journey it represented. A journey into a new world waiting to be discovered.

But in the nightmare I had fallen into, my life seemed completely irrelevant; I didn't know the reasons for that aggression, nor who the people involved were. Maybe things were simply meant to be that way, and that situation had nothing to do with me.

The woman continued to silently lament, while the man whispered something to her aggressively, like a lion preparing to pounce on a gazelle. And I was just a small zebra. I could have called the police later, but in that moment, my priority was to get away as far as possible from that scene.

So, I took a step towards the stairs, making sure not to make any noise. Then another step. And another. The tiny eyes of that woman shifted in my direction; the man noticed and turned his head towards me. He looked scared, but I was undoubtedly more terrified. I started a desperate run towards the subway stairs. They would take me to the surface, to safety. But then, I tripped on the untied shoelaces of my shoes and fell heavily to the ground.

My breath became labored as heavy footsteps got closer and closer. I had no chance now. The opportunity of a lifetime had slipped away like an effervescent pill dissolved in a glass of cold water. I felt my muscles stiffen with fear, but I couldn't allow it to happen; if I froze, I would surely die. So, I tried to get back on my feet...

I kept my gaze fixed on the stairs that would take me outside... to safety... But then, a gunshot shattered my hope. I fell onto the vibrating tracks of the station as a piercing pain spread from my abdomen to the rest of my body. The woman was still there, immobilized in the arms of that terrible being who was now staring at me. He had eyes as green as a snake's skin.

A whirlwind of screams echoed in my head like a storm: screams of passers-by, unfortunate spectators of my fall. They were coming down into the subway, drawn by the sound of gunshots. Why were they getting closer while I had just finished running away? The whistle of the train echoed from the underground tunnel... I felt myself getting further away from that place... further and further... like a submerged body leaving the water's surface, swallowed by the depths.

My consciousness was dissolving, and soon it felt like falling asleep. It was all ending... so quickly... and in a way... so... Insignificant.

HELL I - THE FIRST CALL

Please, stay on hold...
Loading...
Just a moment...

...

Oops! We have terrible news for you ;(
Your life has been interrupted, and your conduct does not permit you access to Paradise!
What does this mean??
It means you have been sentenced to ETERNAL PUNISHMENT :0
Hell is a society where each member has a role that consists of a task to perform.
Remember: be faithful to your duty!
The role chosen for you is:

RESCUE AGENT

Your task is to intervene when someone activates the emergency number 666 along with your team.
BE CAREFUL! Your new life in the afterlife is about to begin!!
We can't wish you anything, you know how it goes: "Abandon all hope, ye who enter here" ;)
Live it like a game; it's easier that way.
...
...
Wide-open mouth: breathe!
I woke up from what felt like an incredibly long apnea; my lungs filled with air as I gasped hungrily for oxygen.
I found myself lying on a bed in a large, dark attic.
Through the windows, I saw the equally dark sky, as I slowly tried to piece together the recent events.
It seemed as if I had been watching a video game screen, giving me instructions for my new life in Hell. I hoped it was a dream, but the words were too real, too evident in a way I can't explain with absolute clarity.
How did this happen? I had fallen from a very tall building, yet I was still alive; my body felt solid and sensitive. I opened and closed my hands, feeling the coldness of my palm. I spontaneously realized that if I could still breathe, then it must be true that I was in Hell.