HEAVEN II - Laura

...
REQUEST RECEIVED! Please, stay tuned :D
An operator will soon be with you to best fulfill your request!
...

I held the phone to my ear, mulling over the confession I had just made. I admitted not feeling quite right there, but what could they do for me?
A sudden ring made me jump.
The doorbell had just rung. I impatiently let go of the cordless phone and walked towards the door; my trembling hand gripped the handle and pushed, making the door creak open. At the entrance, I found a middle-aged man dressed in a completely white suit with a jacket and tie. He looked like an ordinary human being, except for his eyes: his irises were tinted a celestial blue, while his pupils seemed as white as the clothes he wore.
"Good morning," I greeted him timidly. The man continued to watch me with a serious and imperative expression.
"Hello, young man. I am here following your request. But first, allow me an introduction: I am your Custodian, and you have attained happiness."
Initially, I was perplexed by his statement. "What?"
The Custodian looked at me, seeming puzzled as if wondering if he had an idiot in front of him.
"I am your Custodian. When I say, 'You have attained happiness,' you must confirm by saying, 'I have attained happiness.'"
"I have attained... happiness," I recited hesitantly.
"I am here solely and exclusively for you. Please, tell me what you need."
I didn't know where to start, and the man wasn't being very helpful.
"Pleased to meet you, I'm Nathan," I said, extending my hand.
The Custodian glanced at my hand but didn't shake it, continuing to stare at me with an intense expression.
"What do you need, Nathan?"
"I just arrived here, and I admit I haven't fully adapted yet. I wanted to know if there are any events or gatherings to socialize with people my age."
"Events to socialize? I mean, do you have any idea where you are, young man? You're in the afterlife, not at a summer camp. Anyway, if you want to meet other souls, just go outside your house."
I was struck by the Custodian's response; in fact, he had a point, and I realized I was behaving like a spoiled child. I felt myself blushing.
"I'm sorry; I didn't mean to complain at all. It's just that I've only seen elderly people around, and I wanted to inquire about meeting others my age."
"Sure, I understand... At the moment, there are no souls of your age in your area. Now that I've given you the information you were looking for, I should return to my office. However, our Assistance Department has detected a strong hint of distress in your request. You mentioned feeling lonely; this requires a more targeted intervention to improve your experience."
Feeling a sense of subjugation, I tried to justify myself, "Oh, no... It's just that I tend to be quite dramatic, you know... That's just how I am, don't worry."
"Nathan, my task is to make you happy in Heaven. My Department has this sole purpose. I do it not only for you but also for the souls that will arrive in the future, so they can have an optimal experience. For this reason, I believe that emotional-relational support is necessary. It's a new feature we're patenting for those who miss their loved ones. I've studied your file and know what I need to do."
I didn't think that after death, I would have to deal with offices, departments, and interviews again, but apparently, that's how it was.
"Go to the Maaty Station; there's someone waiting for you there," the Custodian ordered.
"The Maaty Station? Is there a station here?"
The Custodian looked at me with disbelief, as if he was dealing with an idiot.
"If I'm telling you to go there, it's because it obviously exists. What do you say?"
"Okay, and how do I get there?"
I didn't want to ask more questions, but the circumstances didn't allow me any other choice. If it were up to me, I would have ended the conversation immediately, but that man was my only source of clarity.
"Keep going along the path until you see an underground staircase: it's a pedestrian underpass. Go through it, and you'll arrive."
"Okay, thank you; then I'll go," I said, diverting my gaze from his face as quickly as possible.
Outside the gate, I crossed paths with Mrs. Agnes, watering the pathway. Her smile conveyed tranquility and peace—emotions in stark contrast to the anxiety that was almost making me tremble. Who was waiting for me at the station? In my mind, some faces flashed by, some people who had passed away... one more than others...
Her eyes... her smile... God knows how much I trembled with excitement at the mere thought of seeing her again after all this time.
The tight marble staircase leading to the underpass opened between two houses, one red and one yellow. I almost slipped on the stone steps, consumed by my hallucinating worry. Before me, a white corridor opened up, its perimeter marked by a row of neon lights. The wall was plain, without decorations or graffiti, and it gave me a strange feeling of disorientation. At the end of the short hallway, I found another staircase, this time going upwards, which led me to the only platform of the station. I was the only one there. For the first time, I saw a bright sign indicating an impending arrival: