SOLITUDE - NOSTALGIA

My eyes wandered confusedly in that ambiguous space.

I could not comprehend my surroundings, but I was already prepared for a new danger.

I gripped that wooden club firmly as I advanced with slow steps toward that person so similar to me.

My mind processed many different hypotheses, one after the other, like an assembly line....

Was it perhaps a reflex?

Yet he was so different from me... he had a bigger and more imposing body, and his gaze... his gaze was firm and strong; unlike mine, it did not let any sense of uncertainty show.

His chest was protected by a solid black armor-like shell, while his legs were covered up to his knees by a kind of black sheet with golden symbols embroidered on it.

But the most striking thing was what he held enclosed on his back: several pairs of huge, feathery, white wings like those of a dove.

After a few seconds we found ourselves face to face, only a few inches apart. It was only at that point that I became aware of the symbol carved on the armor, a remendously familiar symbol....

Eros.

The boy spread his wings wide at once, as if to threaten me; indeed, my heart stopped for an instant.

Six beautiful wings.

-Who are you?‖ he asked me.

-I am Nathan. Nathan Sesto- I answered him, hesitating for a moment.

-No, you are lying. I am Nathan Sextus-he blamed me. My eyes widened in surprise however I was not scared, or at least, not anymore: once I heard that answer, I realized that that was really me.

I recognized the tone of voice and the almost arrogant conceit with which he had accused me; I would often address my brother in that way when we were arguing. So the one in front of me was really myself, and why should I be afraid of myself?

I immediately wondered how such a situation was possible, yet I could not help but notice how unbelievable that version of me seemed.

-Did I really become this way?" I asked him with obvious interest.

-No! No! You are wrong! We have nothing in common!-he replied to me stymiedly. I meanwhile mainly scrutinized those solemn white wings, opened so proudly. But of course the physique was no joke either--under that armor were probably hidden sculpted abs.

At that point I agreed with him: we were certainly different, even though we were evidently the same person.

He lowered his back slightly and looked into my eyes. I noticed once again the intense decision that shone through his gaze.

-I want to know who you are. Tell me where you come from-.

A strange feeling of panic teased me: as if on instinct I clasped my hands to the baseball bat. I would never have used it against him, but that grip gave me a modicum of comfort.

-I am who I say I am, and nothing else. I am from Hell and I am looking for a person-.

-Amanda-.

Her name made my blood run cold.

-Amanda- he repeated; -You are looking for her, aren't you-.

Actually, when I had formulated that sentence I was thinking of Edith Danvers. Never had I expected, however, that he would utter that name.

-I...I...never stopped looking for her- I stammered, aware once again that I was really looking at myself.

He spread his arms wide and tightened them around my chest. His grip was strong, almost suffocating, but in that moment I felt like being cuddled by a tender guardian angel.