Princess Andromeda

Don't be a silent reader

Amara's pov

I was staring at the waves when Percy and Tyson found me. Well, Percy tackled me and was checking if I had any wounds on me.

 "What's going on?" Percy asked after he finished checking. "I heard you calling for help!"

 "Me, too!" Tyson said. "Heard you yell, 'Bad things are attacking!'" "I didn't call you guys," I said. "I'm fine." 

"But then who ..." Percy noticed the two yellow duffel bags, then the thermos and the bottle of vitamins I was holding. "What — " 

"Just listen," I said. "We don't have much time," I told them about my conversation with Hermes and Athena. By the time I was finished, I could hear screeching in the distance — patrol harpies picking up our scent. "Percy," I said, "we have to do the quest." 

Percy's pov

"We'll get expelled, you know. Trust me, I'm an expert at getting expelled." I said to her "So? If we fail, there won't be any camp to come back to." "Yeah, but you promised Chiron — " 

"I promised I'd keep you from danger. I can only do that by coming with you! Tyson can stay behind and tell them — " "I want to go," Tyson said. 

"No!" Amara's voice sounded close to worry. "You just a baby Tyson. it will be dangerous if you come"

 She and Tyson both looked at me, waiting for an answer. Meanwhile, the cruise ship was getting farther and farther away. The thing was, part of me didn't want Tyson along. I'd spent the last three days in close quarters with the guy, getting razzed by the other campers and embarrassed a million times a day, constantly reminded that I was related to him.

 I needed some space. Plus, I didn't know how much help he'd be, or how I'd keep him safe. Sure, he was strong, but Tyson was a little kid in Cyclops' terms, maybe seven or eight years old, mentally. I could see him freaking out and starting to cry while we were trying to sneak past a monster or something. He'd get us all killed. 

On the other hand, the sound of the harpies was getting closer... "We can't leave him," I decided. "Tantalus will punish him for us being gone." "Percy," Amara said, trying to keep her cool, "we're going to Polyphemus's island! Polyphemus is the biggest Cyclops. I don't know how he will react to Tyson helping us. Plus Luke promise to take care of him" 

"Tyson can go," I insisted, "if he wants to." Tyson clapped his hands. "Want to!" Amara want to argue but sighed as she pats his back.

"Just stay close big guy ok?" She said to him.

 "All right," I said. "How do we get to that ship?"

 "Hermes said your father would help. So What are you waiting for? Persues " I'd always had a hard time calling on my father, or praying, or whatever you want to call it, but I stepped into the waves. "Urn, Dad?" I called. "How's it going?"

 "Percy!" Amara whispered. "Can you please hurry it up" "We need your help," I called a little louder. "We need to get to that ship, like, before we get eaten and stuff, so ..." At first, nothing happened. Waves crashed against the shore like normal. The harpies sounded like they were right behind the sand dunes. 

Then, about a hundred yards out to sea, three white lines appeared on the surface. They moved fast toward the shore, like claws ripping through the ocean. As they neared the beach, the surf burst apart and the heads of three white stallions reared out of the waves. Tyson caught his breath. "Fish ponies!" He was right.

As the creatures pulled themselves onto the sand, I saw that they were only horses in the front; their back halves were silvery fish bodies, with glistening scales and rainbow tail fins. "Hippocampi!" Amara said. "They're beautiful."