Dancing in the Dark

Tired eyes stared back at Akaashi through the mirror of his bathroom. His gaunt face peered blankly at the reflection and for once since a long while, he was puzzled. Long, thin fingers combed through his unkempt hair slowly and a deep, exasperated sigh escaped his lips. He was so tired.

Ignoring his exhaustion, however, Akaashi left the dark bathroom and back into his dim office, where he sat at his work filled computer and continued typing.

Overworking, tiring himself, and never stopping had become a habit. At first it was a drive of determination. He wanted to get this done. He needed to. And afterwards, he'd feel so accomplished, that he needed to work on another story. These days came every so often. Not enough to drain the life out of him. Soon, however, his tendency to overwork himself became more frequent, until here he sat.

He felt ill as he stared at that bright screen. He adjusted his glasses to squint at the light in this dark office. It was bad for his eyes, to say the least.. But he couldn't get up yet. He had to continue.

Akaashi let out a startled hiss when everything suddenly turned bright. His eyes darted away from the computer and instead to Bokuto, who stood in the doorway of Akaashi's office, frowning. Akaashi blankly stared at the disappointment on his boyfriend's face and a wave of shame fell over him. He'd drown in that ocean.

"I'm sorry," He started to say. Akaashi leaned back in his office chair and slipped his hands under his glasses to rub his fatigued eyes with another deep sigh. "I'm almost done. I swear. Just another-"

"No," Bokuto cut him off sharply. The firmness in his tone made Akaashi flinch. Bokuto was eccentric, sure, but not exactly authoritative. Not like this, anyway, in a way that made Akaashi nervous.

"It's just another page. We can go to sleep afterwards. Aren't you tired anyways?" Akaashi reasoned quietly. Bokuto crossed his arms over his chest and leaned against the doorway, still frowning.

"Not as tired as you are," He retorted. Akaashi gazed at him for a long while before shaking his head briefly and turning back to the screen, his fingers typing slow. Everything was sluggish. Bokuto let out a deep sigh of his own. "I'm worried, Keiji. It's been months already, and it's so late. Continue this in the morning, okay? Let's go to sleep."

"Please, Kōtarō."

"C'mon," Bokuto whined quietly. Akaashi's heart ached at the way Bokuto so desperately tried to convince him. Bokuto pushed himself off the doorframe to instead approach Akaashi, where he spun the chair away from the computer and knelt down in front of it. In front of Akaashi. With pleading eyes, Bokuto took Akaashi's hands in his own. His grip was gentle as always, but firm nonetheless. Akaashi peered over his boyfriend with an expression close to longing. 

It'd been so long since they'd done anything together, really. Akaashi was always too caught up with work and Bokuto, though he needed his boyfriend's attention, decided against interrupting the tired man. At the end of the day, both were usually too exhausted to do anything with the other. Tonight seemed like it was one of those nights.

"Let's do something together, Kōtarō. Before we go to sleep," Akaashi whispered after a moment's hesitation. Bokuto just looked up, his head cocking to the side. With a faint, tired smile, Akaashi stood, bringing Bokuto up with him. Bokuto's exasperated eyes lit up at the implication. Akaashi was done working (for tonight, at least).

One moment, they were in Akaashi's office, just content with being hand in hand. The next, they danced slowly in the living room, Akaashi in Bokuto's arms and Bokuto in his as some cheesy love song played through a speaker. The dance was random. Not an elegant waltz and not some disco party type swing, but Akaashi fell in line easily with every step of Bokuto's. Silent conversations exchanged through the other's eyes made Bokuto grin widely and Akaashi smile faintly.

The songs changed and the night bore on, but neither felt like leaving. Physically tired but mentally content, they continued to twirl around the living room. Bokuto's booming laugh echoed the room, and Akaashi's quiet giggles echoed in his mind.

At least another hour passed before Bokuto finally stopped moving his feet, Akaashi following suit. Firm arms snaked around Akaashi's torso and a content smile fell on his shoulder.

"I love you," Bokuto whispered as the speaker, battery low, finally died. Akaashi's heart fluttered like it did the first time he heard that. Bokuto never failed to make him feel this way.

With a quiet laugh, Akaashi moving his hands to hold Bokuto's face in them, the raven haired placed a gentle kiss on his boyfriend's forehead, gaining a contempt purr from him. "I love you more," He sang with a gentle smile, a soft giggle coming from Bokuto.

Bokuto fell back to sit on their couch, bringing Akaashi down with him. Lying on his back, Akaashi still in his arms and now resting on his heaving chest, Bokuto shut his eyes with a smile. A tired one, but a content one nonetheless.

"That's impossible," He teased with another grin. He opened his eyes once more to see if Akaashi had some sort of remark to give, but was pleasantly surprised to see his boyfriend already asleep. 

With another sigh and another smile, Bokuto kissed Akaashi's forehead one last time before drifting off to sleep himself. 

(Jajajajajjaajjskdekwjjsjcmmfkrke sorry it's been, like, three months since I wrote anything 😢💔 Anyways, gave up on Hidden Files because I lost the plot and motivation sorry but uh yeah I'm kinda back dunno if I am or not but yeah anyways so I might just make a diff BkAk enemies thingy here bc I don't wanna write a whole ass fan fiction, I don't think I can. Anywayysysywywyuuweiifikkaokwmdn BYE)