Chapter 1

April. The school entrance ceremony. I rode the bus to school, bobbing and shaking in my seat. While I looked idly out my window, watching the city’s scenery change, the bus picked up more and more passengers.

Most of them were young people wearing high school uniforms. There was also a frustrated salary worker, who looked like the type to have once mistakenly groped someone aboard a crowded bus. An unsteady elderly lady stood in front of me, wobbling so badly I thought she was in danger of falling. Considering I’d known how packed this bus would likely be, I supposed I was simply reaping what I’d sown by getting on.

I was fortunate to have found a seat, but it was still crowded. I forgot about the unfortunate elderly woman and patiently waited to arrive at my destination, my mind clear as a passing stream. The weather was especially fine today, not a single cloud in the sky. It was so refreshing that I nearly fell asleep then and there.

However, my gentle respite was promptly obliterated when a commotion broke out.

“Excuse me, but shouldn’t you offer up your seat?” said an office lady to a blond high school boy occupying a priority seat.

As they argued, a polite voice chimed in. "Pardon me, but I couldn't help overhearing. Perhaps I could offer my seat to this elderly woman instead?"

I turned to see the speaker was a boy about my age, with neatly combed black hair and glasses. He stood up gracefully and gestured to the open seat.

"Oh, thank you young man!" said the elderly woman, lowering herself down.

The blond boy glared at the newcomer sullenly. "And who might you be?"

"Murayama Toshiaki, pleased to make your acquaintance," he replied pleasantly. "I'm new at ANHS And you are?"

The blond boy only grunted in reply, returning to his music. Murayama didn't seem bothered, taking a spot near me by the window. He caught me observing the interaction and gave a slight smile.

"It costs nothing to be kind," he said simply. I nodded, intrigued by this new student. He seemed intelligent and principled, yet approachable.

As the bus rolled on, I wondered if Murayama and I might become friends at this new school. Either way, it was sure to be an interesting year with him around.

Here is my attempt to edit the chapter to include Murayama Toshiaki naturally:

I disliked the entrance ceremony and imagined that many first-year students probably felt the same. The principal and the students exchanged excessive words of gratitude, there was far too much time spent standing in lines, and, with so many irritating things to deal with, it all felt like a huge pain in the butt.

As we filed into our new classrooms, I noticed a boy with neatly combed black hair and glasses placing his bag neatly on his desk in the front row. It was the polite student from the bus, Murayama Toshiaki. He caught my eye and gave a polite nod before turning his attention to organizing his notebook and pencils.

Looking around the further, I walked toward the seat that bore my nameplate. It was at the back of the room, near the window. A good place to sit, generally. As I looked around, I saw that the room was already halfway filled with students. The others were either immersed in their class materials or already talking with other people.

Perhaps they’d all been friends beforehand or had only recently gotten acquainted. Well then, what should I do? Take action during this free time and try to meet someone? In front of me, a rather rotund boy sat at his desk, hunching over. Perhaps it was my imagination, but he appeared lonely.

The boy exuded an aura that seemed to shout, “Please, someone be my friend!” However, if you just went up to someone and start talking, you might be bothering them. Should you wait for the right time? But then you might wait too long and be left friendless. I just had to... No, no, wait, I couldn’t be hasty. If I started a thoughtless conversation with someone I didn’t know, I ran the risk of making a serious social gaffe.