Chapter 5

On May 1st, Chiyabashira-sensei strode into our homeroom class, her expression sterner than usual.

"Good morning. Before we begin, does anyone have any questions?" she asked.

Several students immediately raised their hands, asking about the lack of monthly points deposited into their accounts. Sensei insisted the points had been distributed as promised.

"I knew something was amiss when Murayama questioned the lavish point system on day one," Yukimura remarked.

I nodded, recalling Murayama's skepticism during orientation. If only we had heeded his cautionary words back then.

Sensei went on to reveal that our constant tardiness and disruptions had wasted all of our points for the month. The class erupted into dismay and outrage.

"This isn't fair! We can't enjoy student life like this!" Ike protested loudly.

Sensei was unmoved, replying we'd been given plenty to start with. Murayama watched the proceedings calmly, though I sensed he disapproved of her callous tone.

Next, Sensei revealed the classes were ranked based on merit, with Class D containing the lowest-performing failures. She called us defective.

Horikita looked disturbed, while I felt resigned acceptance. But Murayama's brow furrowed ever so slightly at this pronouncement.

Sensei then shared our test scores, drawing a red line to indicate who would be expelled if it were a real exam. Ike and others had failed badly.

Murayama frowned upon seeing his perfect score next to the failing marks. For a moment, his polite facade cracked, a shadow passing over his eyes. But then he resumed a neutral expression.

I was impressed by his score, yet confused. Why was someone so academically gifted like Murayama stuck down here with us in defunct Class D?

Sensei explained reaching Class A was the only way to have a chance at elite colleges and jobs after graduation. The class erupted into dismay once more.

"Such potential wasted," Murayama murmured, almost too quiet to hear. His words held a sharp undercurrent. What did he mean by that?

Kouenji arrogantly dismissed the rankings as meaningless. But the marked students slumped dejectedly, even proud Sudou.

"Chin up, friends. With diligence, we can improve," Murayama gently encouraged them. Though his tone stayed calm, I sensed roiling emotion underneath.

What horrors lurked in his past to make him this way? I knew so little about Murayama still, yet he continued to demonstrate wisdom and grace.

After class, I pondered the other anomalies in our class. Take Hirata - he was kind, athletic, popular. Not a typical Class D misfit.

And Kushida was bright and social, already forging friendships across all classes. Her test score had been decent too.

So why were these talented, likable individuals stuck down here? Was the school administration not as infallible in their judgments as they claimed?

I shook my head. It mattered little in the end. We were Class D. The only way forward was to rise together, somehow, no matter who we were before. 

I approached Murayama, wanting to ask more, but merely said: "That was kind, trying to motivate them."

He gave a sad smile. "I merely hope the truth of our so-called 'defects' is made clear in time."

His cryptic words gave me pause. But the bell rang, so I simply nodded and headed off to next period.

Sensei had meant to demoralize us with her pronouncements, yet Murayama's quiet grace proved our worth ran deeper than any superficial label.