Chapter 27

Dakota opened her eyes the next morning and blinked a few times. She looked down to see a tanned arm wrapped around her, holding her close. She peeked over her shoulder to see Colt's sleeping face resting behind her. Damn, he was a handsome man.

Her cheeks grew hot as she remembered what had occurred the night before. As promised, Colt took on that challenge. And he achieved it.....more than once. She had never experienced such pleasure in her life and he had kept his pants on the entire time. Just as she was curling up closer to his warmth to fall back asleep, a loud banging on the door echoed through the house.

"Stay here," mumbled Colt as he shot up out of bed.

She didn't argue. Instead, she pulled the comforter closer to her as she blinked heavily when sleep threatened to take over again.

***

Colt peeked out the side window at the front door and held in a string of profanities. It was Colin, looking enraged. He grabbed the pistol from the closet, shoving it in his waistband behind him. Colin banged on the door again, making the glass vibrate.

"Hold on, I'm coming," said Colt in a grumpy voice, hoping his voice was not what Colin was expecting.

When Colt opened the door, Colin's eyebrows shot up in surprise.

"I gave you my number last night to call, but I don't think I gave you my address," said Colt.

Colin stared at him in bewilderment, clearly not expecting to see Colt at the door.

"I was told Dakota lived here."

"Well, she doesn't. I was going to call you later at a decent time, but I got two leads where she is. Lunds Landing in North Dakota. Ever heard of it?"

Colin shook his head.

"Well, that's what I was told twice. It's the best lead so far."

"How do I know she's not here? Brett was clear this was where she lived. "

"Brett. Brett Logan?" asked Colt.

Colin nodded.

"Everyone knows that kid has been obsessed with Dakota since high school. He was mad she never dated him. Did he tell you that too?" chortled Colt.

Colin shook his head.

"Look, Colin, let me drive you to my neighbor's place. He knows my truck, but I'm afraid he will shoot you if he sees a car he doesn't recognize. You can ask him yourself about Dakota, since he's lived out here for five decades. Let me just grab my keys and we head that way."

"I'll be at my car," grumbled Colin.

Colt watched him walk back to his car, wondering what Dakota saw in that guy. He wasn't bad looking, but he wasn't the sharpest tool in the shed. Before he passed more judgement, he reminded himself he didn't make the best choice with Regina either. She wasn't good looking or smart. Just, well, one of the many girls that threw themselves at him.

Colt grabbed the keys from the kitchen and ran back into the room, where Dakota was waiting. He sucked in his breath, forgetting how he left her. Naked under the tangled covers. He cleared his throat, forcing himself not to get too caught up in the sight before him.

"Who was at the door?" she asked sleepily.

"As much as I don't want you to, I'm going to have to ask you to get dressed and stay here until I come back."

"Why?"

The comforter fell off her shoulders, revealing bare skin as she stretched and rubbed her eyes. He felt like a teenager how tongue tied he was getting and ogling her as if he had never seen a woman before.