Chapter 22

Dakota felt like she couldn't breathe. Her skin prickled with goosebumps as she heard his raspy dying breath. She gasped for air and smelled blood. Her body shook uncontrollably as small cries involuntarily left her lips. She couldn't hold it back. She knew she couldn't save him and couldn't take this any longer.

"Dakota," said a low voice above her.

She tried to open her eyes, but she couldn't. A strong hand shaking her awake jolted her out of the nightmare. She sucked in air and shoved herself up into a sitting position immediately as her eyes adjusted around her. Her heart was hammering against her chest and she coudn't seem to get enough oxygen.

"Dakota, you are in your room. Everything is okay," said Colt gently beside her.

She turned to see Colt was sitting on the edge of the bed, watching her with worry.

"Sorry, I didn't mean to wake you," she mumbled in confusion.

"There is nothing to be sorry about. I'm sorry you have to endure that."

She felt her eyes prickle with tears. Before she could hide it, Colt had a hand on her shoulder, trying to offer comfort.

"I'm sorry. I'm a bit overwhelmed. I'm just so tired of this," said Dakota as she fought back the tears.

"I told you before, there isn't anything to be sorry about. I understand."

Dakota folded her arms over her stomach. Anxiety was a strange thing, making her experience nasua and pain all at the same time.

"Can I hug you?" asked Colt.

She glanced at him, surprised by this request. She nodded quietly and felt her heart jump to her throat as he wrapped his arms around her. Slowly pulling her arms off her waist, she put her hands to his ribcage. She rested her head closer to him and immediately regretted her decision. He smelled amazing. Masculine and woodsy. She could breathe him in all day. She became even more aware of his powerful arms around her and how broad his body was compared to hers.

"Is there anything I can do?" whispered Colt, as he still held her.

Dakota felt her skin erupt with goosebumps again. But this time, it was pure excitement. She always ignored what he did to her, but that was impossible being in his arms.

"I think I should take a shower. I'm a sweaty mess," said Dakota, as she pulled away from him.

"You do that and I'll make you something to eat. Don't worry. I'll watch the cameras while I cook."

Dakota nodded and hesitantly let him go. Colt stood up, offering his hand to help her on her feet. She took it and found herself inches from him. She swiftly turned on her heel before she could become entranced by him again and retreated to the shower. Only after she shut the door did she realise she didn't bring any clean clothes. She was too focused on putting space between them. She sighed and decided just to take a shower, not wanting to look like an idiot going back to the bedroom. She turned the silver knobs and felt relieved as the water tumbled over her skin.

Dakota stepped into the shower, feeling her body relax under the hot beads of water beating down on her skin. It was a pleasant distraction from what was really bothering her. The nightmare she had grown accustomed to. But those feelings for Colt were not anything she had ever experienced. And it scared the living daylights out of her. The mantra that she didn't need a man, let alone want one, was slowly becoming null and void Colt had proven time and time again his worth. She would be foolish to dismiss it.

Every time she convinced herself to keep it professional, that intense make-out session in his truck came roaring back. Not to mention the constant flirting throughout yesterday she tried to ignore or brush off. Her ferocity and independent nature intimidated most men. Not Colt. He could literally have any woman under the sun. But he seemed interested in her?