4

June was hanging out with his friends, Kyler, Chicago, and Chris at a coffee shop. June giggled at one of Kyler's funny stories - if you could call it that.

"So, you're saying Chicago really did that?!" June wiped his tears, breathing out after laughing, while Chris was laughing too, breathless as he banged his fist on the table. Chicago just rolled his eyes at it, annoyed but at the same time, confident that he had indeed done something embarrassing but had pulled it off. It soon settled into a comfortable silence.

"June, um, about Kane..." June tensed up when Kyler mentioned his name. They had broken up a month ago, and June hadn't seen him since then. But June would be lying if he said he didn't miss him.

He had been having breakdowns every time he passed by something that reminded him of Kane.

"Hm? What about him?" June asked.

Kyler cleared his throat. "Sorry, I shouldn't have brought him up." He rubbed the back of his neck nervously.

June smiled reassuringly. "It's okay, don't worry."

"Have you been seeing him recently?" Kyler asked. June simply shook his head 'no' in response.

Kyler raised his brows in surprise. "Really? Not even once?" June just frowned and nodded. "Well, but I've been seeing him a lot, especially when we hang out."

Chicago raised one brow, and Chris scrunched his nose as they exchanged looks of wonder. "Maybe it's just a coincidence," Chicago said.

"Yeah, maybe it's just a coincidence," Chris added.

June let out a sigh. "So, shall we go now?" Kyler asked, and the three nodded, gently holding June's arm to help him up. June just held Kyler's hand in a friendly way. "Hey June, I won't be home tonight again because Mom keeps bothering me," Kyler said with a low, apologetic chuckle. June smiled at him sweetly. "It's okay, just be careful on your way."

"Well, at least let me walk you home," Kyler offered. June smiled at his kindness, but had to decline. "No need, I can walk by myself. Besides, you might take longer walking me home when you're supposed to be at your mom's by now."

"Alright then, just send me a message when you get home, okay?" Kyler said. June nodded and waved goodbye as Kyler grinned.

June started walking to his friend's house, his heart rate increasing as he passed the windows of the nearby shops. The dark alleyways were what he disliked the most. Suddenly, June heard a noise behind him and immediately turned around, his stomach churning and his breath hitching.

Nothing.

He let out a shaky breath, his knees struggling to keep him upright and prevent him from falling. There was nothing behind him, no one there. He swallowed the lump in his throat roughly.

Beads of sweat slid down his forehead, and he tried to push away the thoughts of someone watching him to the back of his mind.

Wrapping his arms around himself, June took a deep breath, his eyes darting along the empty street. A few cars passed by as he walked, and nothing happened. June kept repeating to himself that nothing would happen as he neared the house.

He told himself that there was no one there. He was just being ridiculous; the person wasn't following him from the last time.

As his thoughts weren't being helpful, June's heart thumped hard, and his hands clenched tightly into the fabric of his shirt, his knuckles turning white and his fingers starting to feel weak.

The boy heard another sound, similar to the one before, but he was too scared to look behind him. His steps quickened, his breathing grew heavier, and he turned his head left to right, as well as back the way he had come, not seeing anyone suspicious.

"Stop being paranoid," he told himself quietly. June brought his hand up to his hair, brushing it and scratching his ear nervously. He let out a shaky breath of relief as the crosswalk light lit up, and he had to stop himself from sprinting across the street.

He continued feeling uneasy, his arms shaking as he hugged himself tighter, eyes darting to his surroundings and his chest tightening.

Goosebumps spread across his body, and he nearly sobbed with relief when he saw the familiar sight of the house. Pulling the keys out of his bag quickly and shakily, he unlocked the door, the back of his neck tingling.

The door opened, and June hurried inside, attempting to shut the door behind him.

But it got caught on something, and he looked back to see a hand gripping the side of it, holding it open.

June screamed, the sound tearing through his throat as if his heart dropped.

REWRITTEN