Chapter 7 THE PAST

Both vishthanjana and vishakha were waiting for tea break outside the meeting room. They started chitchatting about random issues to pass the time. During break Vishakha asked Vishthanjana to accompany her and Vishthanjana agreed. Inside the meeting room, Vishakha was talking to Chetnaya while Vishthanjana was observing paintings and photographs on the wall. Some happy memories of team were captured in those photographs. One photograph on wall attracted her. It was group photograph of team with caption "T20 World cup, England". She saw Arnav's photograph. She got confused that how her father's photograph can be there. She read name of the players which was written below the photograph and Arnav Mitra's name there as captain. Next photograph was of young Arnav and Ravish along with some seniors. Third photograph was group photograph of team with support staff and management. Then there was a photograph of Arnav. Below the photograph, "ARNAV MITRA, HIGHEST RUN SCORER IN WORLD" was written. She thought about her dad's photograph in BCCI meeting room that too with team and management staff. It cannot be mere coincidence.

"Ye photopgraphs... inki photo... yaha kaise ho sakti hai.. nahi ye possible nahi hai", Vishthanjana spoke not realizing that her words are loud enough for other person to hear.

"Kyu nahi ho sakti Arnav ki photo yaha. Arnav Mitra, a successful batsman who need no introduction in cricket world. He doesn't play game today but no one is able to break his records". Chetnaya replied feeling proud on his best friend's achievements and guilty for his actions. Feeling of regret in his voice attracted Vishthanjana. Vishthanjana not understanding anything around her asked that why Arnav left playing behind and where he is at present.

"Abhi ye kaha hai kisi ko nahi pata. Kuch reasons ki vajah se ye chala gaya aur aaj tak vapis nahi aaya", replied Chetnaya.

Vishthanjana- "Aapne inhe dundha nahi"?

Chetnaya- "Bahut dundha par nahi mila".

Vishthanjana- "Can you tell me more about him?"

Chetnaya- "Why are you interested him so much? Do you know him?"

Vishthanjana- "No... No how would I know him. Mein kaise janungi inko. So many things are mentioned on wall about him but I never knew him. That's why I was curious to know more and more about him. Just for knowledge you know."

She was confused whether to disclose her identity or not. She decided not to disclose thinking to first know the reason because of which her father has hidden such a big thing from her.

"Arnav Indian team ka opener tha. Sabse jyda run iske naam par, India ki taraf se jyda six iske naam par. Kabhi kisi ko left out feel nahi hone deta tha. Gussa bahut kam aata tha par agar aa jaye to koi nahi bach pata tha. Kabhi kisi player ke against ek shabd bhi nahi sunta tha. Media mein iske answers humesha lajawab hote the. Shyad hi isne media ko kisi player ko troll karne ka moka diya ho. Parties mein hum sab use jabardasti le jate the. Jaha man karta tha so jata tha, even in Mumbai's local trains. Team ne uska naam sleeping beauty rakha tha. He was so friendly person. Jab bhi koi player uski help mangta tha, Arnav humesha uske sath milta tha. Such a living soul he was. It is irony that once we all were close friends but now we don't know where he is. ye jo T20 world cup ki photo hai na, ye last photo hai Arnav ki team ke sath. I hope he is living happily wherever he is. We all miss him but it's okay". Spoke Chetnaya with blurry vision. He found difficult to control his tears.

Vishthanjana found new information about her father. She never saw her father so lively and smiling as he was in photographs. She found it difficult to believe that her dad who does not believed in concept of friendship was friendly person once. For Arnav, a person is either family or stranger, nothing in between these two. She was feeling so emotional that it was difficult for her to stand there and hide her tears.