Chapter 69

Elio was unusually quiet over the next couple of weeks, spending more time in his room and not really talking anyone. When they went to class, he didn't interact with their classmates like he usually did, just focusing on the lectures instead. Onyx wasn't sure how to help him but always cooked extra at meal times so he could share it with Elio, bringing the food to his room since he wouldn't go to the kitchen. He felt bad for his friend; the break up must've hit him really hard and Onyx hoped he wouldn't do anything reckless.

It was a Friday afternoon and Onyx was making chocolate muffins for Elio when Imre approached him. He had been sitting at the table with Ajani and Jaemin studying together.

"What's up with Elio?"

Onyx stopped filling the muffin cases and turned to him. "He hasn't told you?"

"No. He's not speaking to anyone. At first I thought he had a fight with Tashi or something but Tashi's worried too."

Would it be okay to tell him? After all, they were just worried like he was. "He...broke up with his girlfriend..."

"How is he?"

"As well as he can be..." Onyx sighed. "I'm just scared he's pretending to be okay and will end up doing something stupid. He lets me hang out with him but isn't talking much and when he does, it's about anything but his ex."

"...just keep him company, okay? Don't let him feel alone."

Onyx nodded, focusing on the muffins once again. He finished filling the muffin cases and put the tray in the oven, set the timer and then left the kitchen. He knocked on Elio's room door then went inside, finding him lying in bed napping. His face had gotten thinner and there were dark patches under his eyes. His expression suggested discomfort, making Onyx wonder what he was dreaming about. He wanted to reach out to smooth the creases in his forehead but instead pulled the blanket over him and left the room, going to his own room to study while the muffins baked.

When the muffins were done, he put them on a plate and brought them to Elio's room. Elio was still asleep so he put the plate on the desk and was about to leave again but was stopped by a hand on his wrist. "Elio?"

"Stay with me for a while." Elio's voice was quiet, still sleepy but insistent.

"You were sleeping. I just came to leave these muffins."

"Please stay."

He sat on the chair by the desk while Elio sat up on the bed, leaning against the headboard and pulling his knees to his chest. "How are you feeling?"

"Not great. I'm just trying to not think about it."

Onyx passed him a muffin. "You said these are your favourite, right?"

"Yeah." Elio smiled and for the first time in two weeks, Onyx saw a glimmer of happiness in his eyes. "You made these, didn't you?"

"Yeah."

"I'm sorry. I've been difficult and you've been putting up with me."

"It's okay. I don't mind."

"Don't lie to me. You've been cooking for me, washing the dishes and bringing me fresh water every day. Not to mention checking up on me from time to time even when I'm asleep."

"...it's the least I can do since I'm not good at anything else."

"The least?" Elio looked at him seriously, his expression a mix of guilt and gratitude. "You're doing more than anyone else would. What have I been doing? Just studying and moping. I'm pathetic."

"You're not pathetic. Your girlfriend broke up with you. No one's expecting you to be all sunshine and rainbows."

"Still I shouldn't be depending on you to take care of me."

"Elio I really don't mind." Onyx smiled, a faraway look in his eyes as he thought of Zayden. "It's nice to feel useful. Umm but the others are worried about you."

"I guess they would be since I haven't pranked them in a while." He nodded thoughtfully and took a bite of the muffin. "Don't bring dinner to my room today. I'll come to the kitchen."

"Are you sure?"

"Yeah. How long am I going to go on like this? I need to start doing things."

"Okay."

****

That evening, Elio came into the kitchen just as Onyx was plating up the oil pasta he'd made. He'd flavoured the oil with garlic, chilli flakes, salt and some herbs and thrown prawns in too before swirling the linguine he'd boiled into it.

"That smells really good."

"Hopefully it tastes good too." Onyx brought the plates to the table as Elio poured apple juice for both of them.

They ate their meal quietly and were halfway finished when Ajani entered the kitchen, drying his long hair with a towel. "No way! Elio, you're alive!"

"Yeah, I'm alive." He stopped Ajani from hugging him by pointing his fork at him.

"What, did you finally get bored of your room?"

"Something like that."

Ajani sat at the table, putting the towel on the back of the chair and clipping his hair back using a claw he'd taken from his sister, some strands falling over his shoulders and stopping just below his collarbone and his bangs falling over his eyes. "Really though, how are you?"

"Better than before."

"Does that mean you'll stop blanking the rest of us now?"

"Ajani..." Onyx looked at him, shaking his head warningly.

"Nah, I'm just kidding." Ajani smiled. "It's good to see you."

"Honestly though if it wasn't for Onyx I don't know what I would've done."

"I didn't do anything," Onyx protested, feeling shy at the praise.

"Ajani! Did you forget we're going to-" Jaemin walked into the kitchen and stopped when he saw Elio. "You're okay. Thank goodness you're okay."

"I'm fine. I'm sorry I worried you all."

"Jaemin, what are you yelling about? I'm trying to..." Imre also entered the kitchen and stopped when he saw Elio, his eyes wide and mouth slightly open. "Elio," he said softly, going towards him and falling to his knees beside him. "Are you okay? I was so worried..." He put his head on Elio's lap, sighing. "You didn't reply to any of my texts and wouldn't let me in your room. I was going crazy not knowing how you were but at least Onyx was there..."

"I'm okay. You don't need to worry." Elio put his hand in Imre's hair, trying to comfort him as none of them had seen him this distressed before.

"I'm sorry. This isn't about me. It's about you and your wellbeing."

"Imre it's okay. I'm sorry I scared you."

"You idiot. You just love troubling the rest of us, don't you? Maybe I haven't scolded you harshly enough."

Elio laughed. "Maybe."

Tashi entered the kitchen with a bag of groceries and took a moment to process the scene before him. Though he said nothing, everyone saw the relieved smile on his lips as he put the groceries away. He nodded at Elio then left the kitchen and Ajani and Jaemin took that as their cue to leave too. It was just Elio, Onyx and Imre left.

"Imre are you okay?" Onyx asked as he got up to do the dishes.

"I'm fine."

"Were you really that worried? You're always scolding me...I didn't think..." Elio trailed off, his voice quiet and hesitant.

"I only scold you because I care about you. I'm not a patient person nor am I good at saying encouraging words. My siblings are all children and they drive me crazy and tough love is all I give them because that's all I know. I'm sorry if I hurt you...I just... Please don't misunderstand me."

"I must irritate the hell out of you then."

"You do. It's why I was so confused when the flat became peaceful."

"Enjoy the peace while it lasts. I have a lot of pranks waiting."

"I can't wait."