FOUR

** The image above is Emily***

"Mimi! Is the bedroom ready!" Margaret nervously paced her office. "Yes, headmaster. The room is clean and ready for the miss when she arrives." Margaret gnawed on her thumb nail as she racked her brain for any thing that might be missing. "She likes bath salts, nuts, and small finger snacks. Oh and books! Buy everything you think a teenager could ever need!"

Mimi nodded and bid the headmaster farewell. Margaret sighed, "am I nervous or excited?" A low voice answered in the distance, "a bit of both? I mean who wouldn't be when they haven't seen their daughter in years."

Margaret looked up to her dear friend and vice principal, Paul Linwood. "Paul, what a surprise! Summer vacation won't be over for another week, I thought you were on the East Coast with your family?" The elderly man chuckled and sat on one of the office couches. "We had to come back early due to the weather. Weather mages we're predicting a typhoon was coming in. Rain is supposed to be heavy this next coming week."

Margaret frowned, 'there goes my plans to go  shopping with Teni for the weekend. Hmm, but maybe we can still do Friday?' A buzzing sound on her desk brought her out of her thoughts. She glanced to Paul for a moment. "You take that, I will go and get an early start on my work," he bowed before leaving the office.

Margaret scurried over to the crystal ball and waved a hand over its form. An image of her daughter faded into clarity. "Teni, darling! Have you arrived already?" The tired smile of the small girl made Margaret's heart warm. "Yes, we just made it to the academy gates. Magic vehicles are not allowed past the entrance so I was told to wait in the student courtyard."

Margaret leaped from her seat, "alright! I will be there momentarily!" The call cut off and Margaret began running out the door.

Teni stared at the nearly empty courtyard. She assumed these were the poorer students who couldn't afford to go on vacation like the other students. Though it is rare, commoners are also able to attend the academy. The application fee is hefty but the education you receive is priceless. Any students who graduated from the academy are bound for greatness! Many become leading roles in the government and military.

"Are you new here?" A soft voice broke through her thoughts. Teni spun around to face a girl brighter than the sun. Her golden hair was slight messy but it gave her a sort of sexy appeal. Her soft red eyes that gazed at her innocently contrasted the curves of her body. Suddenly Teni was feeling self conscious of her flat chest.

She nodded, "sort of. And you?" The girl shook her head, "I'm in the graduate class this year. It's a pleasure to meet you. I'm Emily. I specialize in divine magic." Teni stared at the girl in a moment of awkward silence then realized she was also supposed to introduce herself. She straightened herself and curtsied, "Um, I'm Teni Ainsworth. The pleasure is mine."

Emily's eyes widened, "oh please don't be so formal." She nervously scratched her head. "Im actually a commoner, so it's a little uncomfortable." Teni was confused but she simply nodded. 'Why does she feel uncomfortable when people greet her?'

Emily guided Teni to a bench. "You said your name was Teni? That's a unique name." Teni smiled, "thanks, my dad gave it to me." Emily blinked. "Ah, I see," Emily's smile wavered. 'Doesn't everyone's name come from their parents? Is she a little slow?'

"Teni!" Both girls looked over to see the headmaster running at full speed to them. "Teni, darling!" Before Teni could reply she was engulfed in a giant hug. "Oh, how I missed you my child!" Emily watched this interaction with wide eyes. The headmaster herself had come to see this girl and was greeting her in such a warm manner. Just who was she?

Then it clicked. 'The headmaster's name is Margaret Ainsworth. Is Teni her grand-daughter?' Emily fidgeted with her uniform skirt. The pastel blue uniform was proof she was in the graduating class. The white tie she was wearing signified that Emily was in the top ten of the school. She was the number one student in the school and yet this new girl was getting admitted because of her connections?

She had worked so hard to get to this point. Being a commoner meant everyone looked down on her no matter how strong she was. She utterly despised nobles who used there power to get whatever they wanted.

"Oh I see you made a friend!" Margaret turned to Emily. "Emily, it's a pleasure to see you again. How have your studies been going?" Emily plastered a smile. The headmaster was back to her overly formal self once again. "Hello headmaster. I am doing alright. My studies have been proving fruitful." It was the same answer she always gave and the headmaster replied with the same flat nod she always did.

Teni watched their interaction with an observing eye. 'She was upset when I greeted her formally but now she is doing the same thing? People really are weird.'

Margaret hugged the arm of her daughter and dragged her away. Teni waved goodbye to Emily before disappearing. "Emily?" A soft voice called behind her. Emily turned to see a man with platinum white hair and blue eyes walking to her. Her expression brightened, "your highness!" Emily stood up and ran over to him. She stood just short of him and hesitated. She curtsied before grinning up to him.

"Come on Emily, I told you to drop the formalities. You can call me by my name," he pulled her into a hug which she happily reciprocated. "You know I can't do that! You're the crown prince." He kissed her cheek and leaned closer to her ear. "Really? But when we're alone you don't seem to mind."

Emily blushed and hugged him tighter. "That's different," she mumbled. He smiled at her sheepish behavior. Emily's mind was still on the mysterious new girl she had met earlier. "Um, Nial, do you know who Teni Ainsworth is?" She noticed his shoulders immediately tense up. "That weirdo? What about her?"

Emily bit her lip, "she was walking in the courtyard earlier and I wanted to know what class she is going to be in?" Nial sighed and pulled back, "does it matter? She may be the daughter of the Tower Master but she has always been a stranger. She always had this weird look in her eye like she couldn't be bothered with anybody else." He shuddered at the memories of his childhood.

"Don't hang around such narcissistic people. You're time is too precious to be spending it on trash like her," he tucked a piece of Emily's golden hair behind her ear.

Emily nodded, "alright." The prince wrapped an arm around her and guided her out the courtyard. Emily touched the white tie around her neck. 'Teni Ainsworth, I don't care who you are. You will regret stepping into my domain.'