NINE

The weekend arrived sooner than Teni had anticipated. All of the students had successfully learned the size of their mana veins and were making progress in their constant mana breathing. When she was a kid it had only taken her two days to learn because she had studied anatomy and just memorized her mana veins like a map. Some students had tried taking this path but she knew it wasn't the most practical way.

Yet, they had all grown stronger. Even if only by one or two percent, that was extreme progress in only a week.

"Darling! Let's go shopping after lunch!" Margaret wrapped her arms around Teni who was concentrating on her notebook. Teni leaned into the hug. "Shopping? For what?"

Margaret smirked, "don't tell me you forgot about the Winter Ball!"

Teni groaned. She wished she could forget. The last time she went to the Winter Ball was when she was 11, and making her debut into the noble scene. A huge mistake on her part. She had managed to avoid going over the past 7 years because she was always working in the tower, but she had a feeling she wouldn't be able to get out of it this time. 'I need new clothes anyways."

Teni sighed. "Getting a few new clothes might be nice." Margaret cheered, "it's settled then! I'll bring the car around at noon. Meet me at the school gates!"

Teni blinked at the disappearing blur of her mother as she scurried out the lounge room. She smiled, "we haven't gone shopping together in a while."

***

A woman with long nimble limbs was kneeling on the ground. Her weathered green dress was stained and her hair was matted. "I won't be doing this for free, you understand that right?" The woman nodded frantically. "Yes yes, I am aware. I will give you my house and all my money! I have already been living like hell because of that man!"

The man in a cloak was sitting in the corner of a pub. The room was bustling with with drunken men and loosely clothed woman. Tis was the appeal of the red lights district. Every table was a deal hidden in disguise. For all these people knew this woman could be offering her body to him and not an offer of hidden murder.

"And your child?" The woman burst into tears. "An orphanage in the capital would be nice, but if that's too much to ask-." The man waved his hand, "consider it done. But your money isn't what I will ask for in return."

The woman's eyes widened. She looked up to see glowing hazel eyes. His smile seemed friendly with a hint of seduction. "Then my body?" That made the man fly back in laughter. He leaned closer to her. "Don't think too highly of yourself." He tilted her chin up with the tip of his finger. "What I want is your soul."

Fear filled her expression. "By that do you mean a s-soul contract? Sir are you a black magic use-." He covered her mouth. His hands were thin but callused. She could smell a small hint of rose from his fingers. 'Is he actually a woman? Is her disguise the acts of black magic?'

"Keep your mouth shut if you don't want both of use to be executed." She nodded.

"You're correct. I am offering a contract in return for handling your family matters." The woman looked into the man's eyes and saw no malicious intent in them. He released his hand. "You won't hurt me, right?" She whispered. He shrugged, "you won't feel the pain."

She bit her lower lip and slowly nodded. "Okay." A piece of paper slipped to her knees. She looked up to him as if asking for something. "You can't sign soul contracts with a normal pen." She poured what little mana she had into the paper and spoke her name allowed.

"The contract is sealed. And here. A gift." A finger landed on the paper with a wedding ring around it. She fell back with a shriek. "I-is that!" The man snickered, "your officially a widow. Congratulations."

Her eyes were wide. "So soon? But how did you-?" She looked up to him. His finger was on his lips, "that's a secret. Now. For your soul. I won't have any use for a woman made of bones and skin." He waved his hand and one of the men from the tables closest to them rose from his seat. The woman watched this sight with a frightened look in her eyes. "Clean her, feed her, and give her a new set of clothes for the winter."

Then he turned and left the pub.

Orion removed his hood and took in a deep breath.

"Ooh, who is that handsome boy? An escort?"

Another woman snickered, "like you could afford him. He's so pretty he almost looks like a girl. Men like that always go for a pretty penny."

Orion glanced towards the women and winked. Their faces enveloped in a crimson blush. "Did you see that? He winked at me." The other girl scoffed, "No he winked at me!"

Orion whistled away as the women went into a frenzy.

A figure appeared beside him. He smiled, "speak." The shadow retrieved a report from his pocket. "It seems that Teni and Margaret Ainsworth will be shopping in the capital later today for winter clothes."

Orion's hummed to himself. "Things are moving along faster than I predicted."

***

Because rivers from the two mountains split the capital in two on the side where the castle is, that is where the nobles live. On the other side is where lower ranked nobles or commoners reside. Both sides have their fair share of guilds, shopping districts, and magic districts. However, while the noble side is clean and structured the commoner side is rowdy and bustling with mayhem.

Teni frowned as she stared at the white streets of the noble capital. The road was made of smoothed cobblestone and the stores had glass walls. Some buildings were made of marble while others had fine wood walls that almost seemed like plastic.

The nobles that passed had extraordinary dresses that seemed to sway elegantly at their feet. The men wore clean cut clothes that were definitely tailored to them. It was all so... plain.

Elegant, yes. But oh so plain.

The last time she had come to this capital it had felt like a wonderland from a story book. Too good to be true and too perfect to be real, which it was.

As they walked through the sparkling streets many nobles greeted Teni's mother. They praised her for all her achievements as the headmaster and as a mage. But not once did these people glance at Teni. It was like they could sense her common origin by her very presence. She was an insignificant bug in their eye.

Even as they entered the noble capital's most renowned boutique the clerk walked right past Teni and greeted Margaret. "Oh! What an honor it is to have you here! Please please have a seat! What is if that I can do for you madam." The woman's bright blonde hair was tired into a high bun with a pink ribbon. Her long pink dress was simple but elegant. Her er makeup was light with a pop of hot pink lips.

Margaret ignored the attendant and sat down. Teni followed lead but did not miss the uncomfortable gaze the woman had given her. The clerk handed Margaret a catalog. "Let me know if there is anything you like?" Margaret passed it right to Teni without opening it.

"Tell her if there is anything you like, darling." Teni glanced up and couldn't help but smirk at the twitch in the clerks smile. "Alright."