Chapter 42

"Mr. Blake," her voice pops out of my office phone, sweet like candy, cautious like spice, "do you need something?"

"Would you mind coming over to take these documents to Mr. Bowman?" I ask.

"Sure thing," she agrees, hanging up the line. I rise out of my seat and linger over to my opaque door. Without a shadow of a doubt, Danni steps in before closing the door with a clean click. "How long is it going to take for you to stop addressing me as Mr. Blake?"

"The same amount of time it's going to take for you to ask me to marry you," she blurts out. I raise a brow, shock written over my features as I slide a hand into my pocket. Her limbs freeze up, cheeks tinging pink so quickly that I can't help but smile. "Where are the papers?" she hastily changes the topic.

"What was that you said just now?"

"Where are the documents, Luke?"

"Behind you on that chair," I point out, guiding my eyes to the wall. The turn of her head generates a ripple effect, causing her hair to fly behind. I step closer, unable to keep myself chained to one spot. Her presence is like a narcotic, so utterly addictive and satisfying, but the moment she leaves feels like forever until I have the time to satisfy my craving again.

"There's nothing there—" She shifts her gaze back only to have her words cut off as I slam my lips onto hers. My heart beats as our skin comes into contact. Everything is still for the most minuscule fraction of a second until I feel the resistance as she tries to squeeze in her protest. My hands find a comfortable spot on her waist and reel her in until our chests are barely inches apart. The sudden strength of her pulling away makes my heart sink as she looks me in the eyes.

"Luke—"

"Marry me," I utter.

"W-What?" Her face goes back to a bright pink as a smile spreads my lips.

"You heard me." I watch her eyes fall away.

The tangible sense of hesitation unsettles me, planting a seed of fear that grows inside my stomach. A wave of fear washes over me, intensifying with each passing moment as the suspense hangs thick in the air, weaving a web of uncertainty around us. Just as the anxiety threatens to consume the air, she turns back, hitching my breath. The emotional pendulum swings, leaving me caught in the facade of ease.

"Hm," she sighs. It's the kind of sigh that's loaded with curiosity—maybe a mix of excitement and a bit of "here we go again." You can practically feel the weight of it in the air. "Hard pass."

"What?" A surge of shock courses through me like an electric current.

"You've got a lot of issues, Mr. Blake." A concoction of raised eyebrows, a forced smile, and perhaps a touch of wide-eyed enthusiasm crafts into the form of a make-believe expression as I inch closer.

"Is that so?" I say, disbelief crossing my lips.

"Mhm," she says, nodding her eyes with the biggest smile.

"You're unbelievable."

I pull her in by the waist, making this forceful pull an unapologetic declaration that there's no room for hesitation or separation. Our bodies collide, creating a clash that blurs the lines between desire and demand as an electric current surges through every nerve, making time seem to stretch and bend as my lips fold into hers. It's forceful yet gentle as her cool skin douses mine with a seductive wetness.

I take the side of her face into my palm, letting my fingers brush through the hair behind her ear, running my hand to the small of her back. My firm hold desires the closeness of her presence as she becomes captivated by the moment. The touch of her skin on mine radiates to every nerve of my body, blatantly torturing my craving for more.