Chapter 20

My hands release the cold handle. I spin around, leaning my weight into the closed door, head tilted back, and eyes closed. I smile. Her face hits me like fire to a burning bush, covering every thought that crosses my mind.

Images fly like bullets in my head, always coming too close to their target. My heart's racing. One look from her is all I need to fall over. Fall right into love. No second thoughts or opinions. Just her.

Danni, she sure is... I can't think of what to call her. Nothing comes to mind and blanks are filling in sentences. Danni is unique in her own way but not perfect. Never too reckless and but always slightly too careful.

And she was with me...

That sentence runs through my head pretty often. More than I'd like to admit. 

She's such a—stop. I have to catch up on the work I've been slacking on for the past years. Missing assignments, unfinished projects, and the uncounted days I've been messing around. The business is still running because of the calls I get every now and then from the board to step up my game. Now, I'm supposedly starting a new project. A project I've been holding off for three years.

I clench my jaw, spin around in my office chair, and look at the ceiling. I've been in here for an hour now. I don't know what to do.

My hands close my laptop and I trudge back upstairs. I don't want to work. I don't want to think about work. I want nothing to do with work right now. I reach the end of the hall, push down on the handle, and crack open the door. My body freezes with cold sweat. I swallow so hard it echoes in my ears.

Time comes to a complete stop as my mind carries back the memories of Danni inside my house. Inside my room. Inside my jacuzzi. I can't move. Or maybe I won't. I stare at the floor, standing in the doorway with my fingers glued to the handle.

Movement from afar snatches my attention instantly. I recognize Danni. I see her skin wrapped in nothing but a towel. I catch her hair trickle down her back. Her wet hair dripping droplets of water onto her even skin as they disappear beneath the towel. I don't think I'm breathing.

Her gaze pours into the mirror as she takes a deep breath in. I glimpse closer and watch relaxation turn to pain, loss, guilt, and so many other things. I'm mesmerized by her. She presses her arms against the counter and drops her head down beside her shoulders. 

Time speeds up again and I quickly pull myself out of her trance. I lean against the wooden door and gasp. Within seconds, I feel the vibrations of her footsteps close in. I bolt from the door and dive into one of the guest rooms then shut the door behind me. Then, a sudden realization slaps me in the face.

I have no idea which room she picked. I listen carefully as the door to my room opens and thumps travel through the floor. My heart races until I come to my last realization of the night. 

This is my house. What the hell do I care? Without any fear of a doubt, I step out of the room waiting to meet Danni face to face but find her missing from the scene.

I guess she picked the other guest room.

Why does this feel so strange? It's just a guest in my house.

I can't figure out what's getting me so off edge. Maybe it's Danni's presence or my work. As the thought of work pops into my head, I remind myself of what I came upstairs for. My feet turn towards my room and I began strolling inside. Right after entering my bedroom, I'm caught off guard by the warm air floating around me. 

I make my way over to the nightstand and pull out a few folders withholding information connected to the company's new project.

A sign of relief crosses my mind as I place them back in the drawer and saunter out of the room. A moment later, Danni strolls out into the hall in a shirt and leggings.