Chapter 8

Cas slowly awoke to the noise of a beep. He found himself in a small white hospital room an IV drip stuck in his arm and wearing a white smock. He was tired, really tired, he just wanted to sleep again. He, however, couldn't remember why he was tired and why he was even inside this room. The only thing he could remember was running through the woods as it caught flame his mentor telling him to run. He slowly reached up to his ear where he found no ear cuff, which meant no communication with his mentor.

He laid there unmoving falling asleep a few times, but never for too long. When the door opened he looked up and saw Eli his face full of worry shine with a little bit of hope, "I'm so glad to see you wake up," he said, "You've been out for longer than anyone thought you'd be."

"How long was I out for," Cas was still groggy and wanted to just go back to sleep.

"Three weeks," Eli sat down beside him, "They thought you were going to die."

Cas chose his next words carefully, "Well at least I wasn't out for longer than that." Cas teasingly said, "I mean look at yourself you're a total wreck when was the last time you slept, Eli?"

"Restful sleep is something that I haven't had since you ended up in that arena." Eli sighed, "But your right I do need to rest for a bit, maybe later."

Cas laughed even though he was lying through his teeth. He'd wished he had died, this life was cruel to him. The arena changed him in more ways than one, if he left the arena that only meant that he had lost his humanity somehow. He couldn't think to even look at himself in the mirror, life to him was painful.

"Eli," Cas said feebly.

"Yes, what is it," Eli said frightened.

"Calm down," he said, "I just want to sleep a little longer. Personally I would do the same." Cas turned over and shut his eyes.

"Yes, of course, I'll just check on you later then." Then the room was once more silent and Cas fell deep into a another sleep.

Sleep was not restful, he could only remember his time in the arena. He saw Cash's eyes glow red, the loss of her innocence, she screamed at him, "You can save me, and you can save us all!" Then he saw Joshua screaming in pain and agony even as he was thrown into the lake he opened his eyes. They stared at him shining a deep bright blue as he sunk further and further. Then he saw and felt the flames of the fire as a red and gold eye looked upon him smiling.

"Cas," a voice screamed out to him and he woke up, it was Eli. "Are you alright, I was concerned."

"Yes, I'm fine," Cas sat up, "I just was in the middle of a nightmare, nothing special."

"What was it about," Eli inquired, "You can talk to me about it."

"With all due respect, I'd rather not talk about it," he laid back down, "At least not now.

"I understand, I too spent some time in the arena, it's hard to adjust back after something as cruel as that place." Eli sat down in the chair, "Whenever you want to talk we'll share both of our experiences."

"I think that I'd like that," Cas said. "So when do I get out of here and start the real battle."

"We can talk about it later, for now we have more important issues at hand."

"Like what?" Cas was getting antsy, "I've been here already for three weeks the other initiates probably have started their quests. I don't have time to just sit around doing nothing."

"Cas, there are only three other initiates that survived the arena."

"What," he was shocked, "That's impossible, I saw so many people leave that place after their humanity was broken."