Part 1

Athena felt the tears drip down her cheeks as she was quickly deleting pictures of her and her now ex-fiance, Teddy, from Instagram. It was a hell of a day and the pain she was feeling in her heart felt like it would end her at any moment.

Once satisfied, which included her unfollowing and blocking him, Athena tossed her phone to the side and curled into a ball on her couch. The only sounds in her apartment were those of her loud sobs from the heartbreak she was experiencing.

She wanted so badly to call her sister, Arty, to pour her heart out to, but she couldn't bring herself to do so. She was embarrassed with how much she had defended Teddy so blindly, even when her sister pointed out how much of a piece of shit he was at times, and how she didn't listen. Arty also had her own relationship issues going on with her elusive boyfriend, Joey. She didn't want to add her drama into the midst.

Teddy and her got into an argument just hours prior over her continued plans to pursue a PhD in Clinical Psychology. He wanted her to be a housewife, someone who looked pretty, gave him kids, and was ready for sex whenever. When they first met, he was kind and playful, studying with her their first year together as undergrads and walking her back to her dorm late from the library. That Teddy? He was gone.. Buried by a man now reunited with his own toxic family (hers being no better) and molding into a version of his father, a cold and calculating man who cared about little but money, power, and his reputation.

When Athena expressed her desire to work and wait to have kids until she was steady in her career, he had called her selfish and ridiculous. The strain of their relationship in recent months was becoming too much and Athena told him, "I don't know who you are anymore. Something has changed and it isn't me. It's you. You're so cold and heartless anymore. You only care about yourself!"

Teddy scoffed at that and replied sarcastically, "Says the girl who can barely answer her phone half the time or is too busy studying to stay over.. Yet, can follow NFL players and get them liking her photos and commenting on shit!" He threw back cruelly. "I must not be entertaining you enough if you have to go for a fucking dumb jock with 2 brain cells."

Athena recoiled in confusion at the accusations.. Her brain trying to make sense of it. "What the fuck are you talking about? What NFL player? And I am fucking busy studying and working! I am a teaching assistant and oversee the grading of four undergraduate courses!"

Teddy ignored the second part, focusing only on the first. "Get fucking real, Athena.. Nick Bosa? Name ring a bell? Always liking photos of yours, commenting stupid shit, and then you like and comment back. I'm not fucking stupid!"

Athena glared back at him, suddenly over it all. She was exhausted. Sick of the ridicule, sick of the snide remarks, sick of defending him, and sick of saying nothing. "You know what? You're delusional and insecure, and I am fucking sick of defending you." She yanks the ring of her ring finger and thrusts it into his chest, letting go of it and watching him scramble to catch the engagement ring. "Until you can be a man and stop acting this way, come find me. I fell in love with Teddy Radcliffe, the guy who walked me home at night from the library, not Ted Radcliffe, the man who wants to imitate his father. Good night, Ted, you can see yourself out."

She didn't give him a chance to retort and stormed off to her bedroom, locking the door behind her.

She heard the front door slam shut as she slid to the floor in tears.

As she kept replaying the argument and the events leading to this, she didn't realize her phone was buzzing with notifications.

Finally, after what was probably the fifth notification, she checked her phone and saw she had a few DMs from Nick Bosa of all people.