II

I press my back against the closet wall. "What are you talking about?" I ask. I feel my heart start to beat a little faster. 

Even if she is a little old lady, there's something about her that sends a shiver down my spine.

An odd twisting in my gut.

"I'm pretty sure this is breaking multiple laws." I mutter. She doesn't seem to care. In fact, my comment seems to only anger her more. She makes a noise of a half-growl, half-hiss. "Admit it! It will make your death all that much sweeter." She chuckles.

"Lady, what kind of drugs are you on?" I ask. The pounding of my heart speeds up even more as I press my back against the shelf. 

She screeches. Lunging forward. I instinctively move to the side, bumping into the shelf as bottles clatter to the floor. She turns, her eyes narrowing as she lunges again. I try to jump to the side but she seems to have predicted that. Her arm flies out as her hands wrap around my neck. I feel her begin to squeeze. Her nails pricking into my skin. My lungs desperately try to absorb as much air as possible. I scratch her arms, I try to hit her. My limbs flailing around frantically. 

This lady has gone freaking crazy. My mind spins as tears prick at the edges of my eyes. My heart beats wildly against my chest. The only clear thought I have is realizing how much I don't want to die. 

"You are weak. Leaving you was the smartest thing your father has ever done with his immortal life." Her words don't process fully. Just enough for me to realize that something is wrong with them. My hands grapple around for anything to grab. 

"Are you not going to put up a fight?" She cackles. "Such a shame. I guess half-bloods just get worse and worse over the years." 

Her eyes gleam with excitement. I stare up at them and for a moment, it's almost as if I can feel her excitement for the kill. Her eagerness. It's almost as if I can feel the emotions running through her as if they are my own. 

Something very weird happens next. Ice water rushes into my veins, rushing like a river through every part of me. Despite her hands around my throat, I can feel my lungs opening up. My mind clears. 

My eyes are locked onto hers. I focus on the glee. I can almost see it in my mind. Strings of red and onyx. I feel myself pulling on them. One small tug, and then a larger one. Something in her eyes shift. The emotion fading as a drowisness washes over them.

Yet, as she gets tired... I get more awake. I can see better. There's no vision spotting. It's not so dark anymore. 

I can hear better. I can feel footsteps outside the closet. I can hear her ragged breathing. I can hear my heartbeat. Or hers. 

Her grip falters before she suddenly rips her hands away. Swaying. "You awful child. I will rain down on you like hellfire!" 

I don't know if I can do what I did before. I don't want to risk it. So, I grab the broom next to me. The closet is too tiny to swing it, so I jab the end with bristles into her face as hard as I can. She stumbles backwards, her back bumping into the door. 

She tries to make some awful screeching sound so I jab it again. And again. And again. Until she lays slumped against the door. Unmoving. 

I touch my throat gently, pulling my fingers back to see small smears of blood.

What the fuck just happened?

I ignore the tears pressing into my eyes. Spilling out onto my cheeks. The brief, amazing moment of adrenaline is gone. Replaced with fear.

Was she actually going to kill me?

No. No, she's a secretary! Secretaries don't just kill students. I mean... They don't choke them out either. But she wouldn't have actually... Would she?

What if... she's...

I rush over, kneeling down beside her and placing two fingers on the side of her neck. There's no heartbeat. I look at her chest. Watching it rise and fall.

Okay so maybe I just suck at checking pulses.

She shifts and my heart skips a beat. I almost expect her to suddenly lunge at me. To choke me once more. 

I should tell someone. Principal Gorgometto? The police?

I carefully walk over to the door. Opening it and rushing out. I look around, the hall is still empty. I don't know where to go but I start walking nonetheless. Needing to put distance between that Janitor's closet and I. My shoes squeak on the tile floor as I grip my backpack.

I turn into the bathroom. Bursting in and ignoring the three girls in the corner by the window. The smell of weed and nicotine thick in the air.

I lean over the sink, tilting my head up and looking at the red crescent-shaped marks in my neck. The smear of red going downwards.

I grab a paper towel, wetting it and dabbing gently on the marks. The girls watch me. Sneers and glares on their face.

I meet the apparent leader's eyes in the mirror. "What." I demand.

She sneers and turns back to her friends. Speaking in hushed whispers in between their inhales of smoke.

I take a deep breath, clutching the sides of the sink. I still have the marks. Principal Gorgometto has to believe me. Even if he doesn't like me.

And if he doesn't I'll tell-

I can't tell my mom. She worries enough about me.

I look over at the girls. Maybe they can tell me something about this new secretary. I walk over. Clearing my throat as the smoke tickles my lungs.

"Hey so, what's up with the new secretary?" I ask.

The leader raises an eyebrow. "What new secretary?" She asks.

The corners of my lips tug downwards. It's not like we have many. "Mrs. Yurf."

The leader laughs, her friends snickering by her side. "Are you high or sum? Mrs. Yurf ain't new. She's been here all year."

I look around at their faces. For a clue or a hint that they're messing with me. But they all just stare back with apparent judgment.

"No, she's new. Principal Gorgometto hasn't had a secretary all year."

The leader sighs. Putting her hand on her hip. "Listen girly. Whatever you're smoking, hook me up because obviously, it's messing with your head. She's been here all year."

My frown deepens as I step backwards. No. She hasn't. But then again, maybe these girls aren't the most reliable sources. I turn away. Ignoring their giggles and whispers and heading to my classroom.

As I enter, my teacher shoots a glare and a scowl in my direction. "Late as always."  Mr. Lionel scolds.

I ignore him. Sliding into my seat. I turn to the guy next to me. What's his name? Connor? No... James? No. It's something with a B.

Brandon. Brady. Bruce. Bryce

Oh whatever.

"Hey. How long has Mrs. Yurf been working here?" I ask.

He looks over at me. Raising an eyebrow. "What?" He asks.

I glance over at Mr. Lionel. His back to us. Taking a deep breath, I repeat my question. "How long has Mrs. Yurf been working here?" I whisper.

He frowns. "All year. Why?"

I turn back in my seat. Unease rising in my stomach. There's no way. No way she's been here all year! My memory may be bad but it's not that bad!

As if this day couldn't get worse, the door opens and in walks Principal Gorgometto with the school officer and....

And Ms. Yurf.... 

I stare up at her in horror, my hand instantly goes to my neck, touching the sore spots as she smirks pridefully. 

"Imena. Would you please come with us?" Principal Gorgometto glowers. Kids around me whisper in hushed voices. Staring at me as if they're trying to guess what crime I must have done. 

The blood in my veins chills, the bad feeling in my stomach doubles as my guts twist with nausea. 

You have got to be shitting me.