VI

When most kids arrive at summer camp, they're greeted with welcomes! Hugs. Colorful banners. Sometimes even cake. Usually anything that's the opposite of what I was greeted with.

An arrow zooming straight past my head and into the tree next to me.

"Freeze." My mom whispers. 

Which makes no sense to me. I'm just being an easy target.

A boy's voice yells out. "Cease fire! Cease fire!" 

"It's just the archers." Mom whispers again. 

I look over to her, narrowing my eyes. "Oh, did dad tell you that too?" 

She shrugs as she ignores the sarcasm in my voice. "No. The arrow next to your head did."

I sigh, turning back to the round arched entry. A boy walks out. Black hair, brown eyes and a pointy nose. He stares me down like I have rabies. "New camper." 

He walks over to me. Eyeing me up and down. "You don't look like one of Luke's goons." He mutters.

I frown. "Luke?" I'm not used to being gawked at. And I don't appreciate it. Especially from someone who just shot an arrow next to my head. 

He shakes his head. "Never mind." His gaze flicks over to my mother and his expression hardens. He steps forward, eyeing her cautiously. "Who are you?" 

Cue the sound of strings being drawn amongst the trees. I look around for archers, unable to spot any. My mom doesn't seem to think that the danger of being shot by arrows isn't something serious. Instead, she holds out her hand. "Farah Mallory. I'm her mother."

He shakes it cautiously. "One with the sight. Or at least the knowledge."

She nods. "Put her in Hermes's cabin. She's a daughter of Hypnos."

I shift my weight. The she in question is standing right here. They don't seem to care though. It's weird that they're talking about me. Especially since the boy seems my age. Maybe older.

He nods. Slinging the bow over his back. "Fine. I'll take you to Chiron and let him deal with you. Um. Do you need a minute to say goodbye?" 

I awkwardly turn to my mother, the boy doesn't bother to hide his stare. Which seems quite bored, to be honest. 

"I'll call you- Wait. Shit. I left my phone at the apartment. How-" 

She shakes her head. "Demigods can't use phones. There are other ways of communicating. Ask Chiron about them." 

She steps forward, cupping my face with her hands. In the dark of the night, her hazel eyes seem to shine brighter than usual. "Imena. I am so proud of you. I promise, everything is going to be okay." 

I gulp, laughing dryly. "This all feels so quick. I mean... Can't you stay just for like. One day?" I ask. "I- This is happening way too fast." 

She smiles, but unlike her usual smile, it's one cloaked in melancholy. "I know, Mena. I should've told you sooner but I was selfish. I'm sorry." 

My eyes tear up a little as I take her hand. "Please. Just.. stay. Just for the night?" I don't care that I seem like a little girl, begging for her mommy. "You aren't supposed to drive while tired!" I argue. 

I pull on her hand, she stumbles forwards. Past the archway. This seems to garner a reaction as the boy instantly pulls out his bow. Nocking an arrow. "How the hell did you do that?" He asks. 

 I glare at him, stepping in front of my mother. "Leave her alone. What are you talking about?" 

The boy glowers back at me with an equal amount of annoyance. "I mean. Mortals can't come past the barrier. So, how the fuck-"