XVI

As the week flew by, I slipped into a routine. I woke up, messed around with Travis and Connor at breakfast... Went to my classes...
Messed around with Travis and Connor at lunch...
During my free time, I either practiced my ancient Greek with Annabeth or went to the infirmary. The boy I had met is named Will, and I often took away his tiredness to help his duties... A trick I've been practicing with Katie. A girl who reminds me of Annabeth. Serious, but fun if you get her to open up.

At dinner, I messed around with Travis and Connor. And at the campfire I danced around with Silena, Travis or Annabeth. Mostly Silena.

I even began to find a friend in Clarisse who, at first, called me a 'sleeper child good for nothing.' But after she saw me beat Travis and knock him on his ass.. she decided I'm not too bad.

She especially liked my sword made by Beckendorf for me. A handle with a grip, a long sleek blade in a bronze color that widens near the top.

I just got out from Ancient Greek with Annabeth. The words and letters still circling around my head.

I walk down to the Archery range. Seeing Micheal stiff and tense as he shoots arrow after arrow at an impeccable speed.

All hitting the red bull's eye. One even splits another arrow, reminding me of Merida. No, Merida is nicer.

I walk up quietly. Picking up a bow and a sling of arrows. I pull the sling over my shoulders and walk up to the target next to his.

Micheal stops his firing. Turning to watch me instead. I slide the arrow in and pull the string all the way back. Adjusting how it's pointed, I release my fingers.

To my dismay, it lands on the third ring. Rather than the middle.

"Pull your elbows back and point them upwards." He says. I do as he says. Pulling them back and tilting them upwards.

My fingers strain and chafe against the ropes as I use one hand to slide an arrow in. I slip my fingers free. Feeling the heat of the rope burn.

The arrow whistles through the air as it shoots towards the target. Landing half in the bull's eye and half in the ring before it.

I smile as Micheal nods. "Good. But you can do better."

I sigh as I hold the bow to face down at the Earth. "Not all of us are gifted with perfect Archery."

He shakes his head. "It's not about that. You're good with a sword, yes. But demigods who are only good at one weapon don't last long. You think a monster is going to wait until you have your sword? What if it's a stealth mission and it needs to be from far away."

I nod. "Yeah. You're right."

He continues. "We have a war coming. Everyone on that side is playing to kill. We can't afford to lose anyone."

I nod. Picking up the arrow. Adjusting my elbows. I try again.

-

Combat is something I am way better at. Clarisse is tough. Often mean. But I've learned that as long as you don't fuck around, you won't find out.

I stand across from Travis. She loves to watch him fall on his ass. "Again." She orders.

Travis and I walk a small circle. Keeping across from each other.

"Come on pretty girl... I'll make sure to go easy on you." He says with a lopsided grin.

I smile. Tightening my grip on my sword. "Did you go easy on me when I kicked your ass yesterday?" I ask.