Chapter 1

Torako Murakami, the epitome of perfection...! ...In theory.

"I don't think I wanna go anymore, dad."

Raised and moulded into becoming the perfect heir to a multi-billion company, Torako had got more zeros in her inheritance than a maths textbook. In a few years time, she could potentially be the only person on Earth to call Scrooge McDuck a financial advisor!

"You can't just pull out last minute, Tora. You've already applied," Torako's father pinched the bridge of his nose as an exasperated sigh slipped past his lips.

This 'Tiger' was a brilliant mind dwelling in the corner of solitude! A genius with exceptional technical knowledge whose stomach was fed with books and blueprints all through her childhood! Some would love to consider that a blessing.

"Yeah... I thought about it last night. Thoroughly weighted the pros and cons... and I don't think it's worth it." Torako began with an awkward lopsided smile.

"Besides, I think I'd be way better off as an engineer or something.

"And also I'm just not ready to waste my life doing this. We already know that it's gonna be corrupted from the inside-out, anyway. I bet you a hundred yen that those 'higher-ups' are probably just a bunch of power-hungry clowns! A circus! You know how I feel about clowns."

Her father gave her a scrutinising side-eye, to which she replied back with a tricky laugh.

"I've already paid for the fees."

"Oh," was all she said.

Fearing the difficult silence that may follow, she cleared her throat and straightened her back, continuing, "Well... perhaps we can negotiate and get a refund?"

Receiving another groan from her father, Torako suddenly found herself feeling quite guilty. She exhaled, "Dad, I'm sorry, but if you're tryna guilt-trip me, it's not gonna work."

"Then why'd you apply in the first place?" Mr Murakami clapped back.

The daughter's mouth quickly fell open in a pathetic attempt to defend herself, however when her brain failed to give her a cohesive retort, it snapped shut just as fast.

"You overestimated yourself?"

Since it was a matter of life-and-death, even Torako knew when to hit the breaks on her arrogant act.

"Ouch."

Without even needing to look at her father, she instantly knew that his deadpan face was raising a brow at her – an expression she'd always found incredibly irritating.

"... You've got me there," she muttered as she shrunk in on herself.

"I think... you just don't wanna die."

To her surprise, the old man knew her better than she thought he did.

She scoffed, "Who would've guessed, right?"

Torako would rather busy herself with mastering the art of "procrastination" and "strategic retreat" from life's challenges, despite the fact that the 'special-grade' title would come very easily to her in the jujutsu world.

Her father knew this, even when he had raised her to be the opposite.

"Torako–"

Just then, the jarring jingle of her phone blasted throughout the small confines of the car, its shrill and insistent tone ripping through both people's eardrums. Torako froze mid-sentence.

"Please wait a sec."

"You really need to change your ringtone. It's awful."

"I'm pretty sure that's all the more reason to keep it."