Chapter 4

Torako was six when she had her first near-death experience. In other words, it was the age during which a sorcerer's technique would manifest for the first time. That little brain of hers had just gained consciousness not too long ago, so every decision made was done out of pure curiosity. And in the end, that led to her nearly falling out of the second-floor window of their house.

Even after many years had passed, her face would still flush red every time she remembered it. After all, one would've expected your own personal technique to manifest in a much cooler (and safer) way.

The next was when her old man nearly saw the pearly gates of heaven after a second-grade curse broke into their home. What began as a fight-for-your-life struggle quickly became an anticlimactic one-shot after she felt her father's blood seep onto her small hand.

"So, where should we celebrate your birthday tomorrow, Tora?"

Those were the words her father had said five minutes after she'd exorcised the creature.

Mrs Murakami nearly bit his head off herself.

Of course, now that she'd sign up as a sorcerer, there will probably be plenty more near-death experiences to come; she just didn't know that it would be on her first day at Jujutsu High...

"Shit! Is this training or are you really trying to kill me?!"

"You're a special grade, Senior, you should be able to take this much–" Suguru's smile was full of murk as he launched his foot at Torako's stomach. Oh, she was sure it was going to bruise.

"Agh! Is this revenge for Gojo?" The girl held her stomach as she coughed.

"The next time I attack you, reinforce your body with cursed energy!"

'Fuck, fuck, fuck, fuck, fuck, what the fuck!'

Suguru was relentless in delivering his blows, with his fists seemingly coming in from all directions, crashing into every limb of Torako's body. On top of the fact that his punches were reinforced with cursed energy, the speed in which he threw his fists were unbelievably fast.

But that wasn't the worst part. The most painful part of the ordeal was how Torako knew he was pulling his punches. He was holding back, or she would've been dead by now, most likely.

If Yaga were to tell her that Suguru was scouted because of his specialty in martial arts, she would've believed him without a question.

'Damn, getting humbled is the worst feeling ever!

'I should use my cursed technique...

'But Morpheus told me not to until next year! What the fuck are they planning?!'

Unknown: For this year, you may only use your shikigami to fight. Under no circumstances you are allowed to use your innate technique.

Torako could distinctly hear Satoru's cackling from the sidelines as she was getting beaten up. She wanted to cry.

○○○

"Well, wasn't that such a productive training session?" Shoko giggled, swirling the lollipop in her mouth as she handed Torako her drink.

"Yeah, it was great. I love the part where I almost died," Torako said dismissively, flatly, as she slid down the bench in exhaustion. "Maybe I should've paid more attention in Muay Thai class."

"You learnt Muay Thai?"

"Used to. Every Saturday. My dad forced me to after he nearly got turned into past tense by a curse."