Chapter 5

"Already?" Torako raised a brow. "I don't even know my way around this place and I already got a mission? On my first week here?"

Yaga mirrored her expression. "Isn't that what you signed up for, Torako?"

Said girl gave him a shrug and a crooked smile. "That's true, but what if I end up dying? People don't usually die on their first week of school, y'know."

The cowardly response had Yaga fighting against the urge to trap her neck between his arms in a headlock.

"The mission would be easy for you. The curse is only a second grade."

Torako hummed. "Hoho, and if it isn't?"

There was dread hidden behind that chuckle, Yaga could tell. Still, his soft heart would never dare to find fault in her anxiety... after all, what kind of shaman wouldn't be anxious on their first mission? Perhaps a few, but for someone who had spent her entire life shutting out that part of herself, he could spare some sympathy.

Yaga's eyes followed Torako's figure, which was making a bee line towards the skeleton model at the back of the room, her focus frantically anywhere but on him. He had to admit, the derisive act was almost convincing, if only it wasn't for those telltale trembling hands attempting to hide under folded arms.

"You won't be alone. Suguru will accompany you."

"Oh, I'm getting a babysitter?" Torako tilted her head, fighting back a sarky smile.

Yaga nodded. "The driver will pick you up in forty minutes. Remember what I told you?"

"Yeah."

The dismissive tone irked Yaga.

Torako's attention moved onto the periodic table stuck on the wall by the skeleton's side. Suddenly, she had the urge to relearn the elements again.

"Torako," he called.

"Yeah?" His student still refused to meet his gaze.

"Torako," Yaga called her name again, this time with a hard emphasis.

"Yep!" Following her abrupt turn, Torako's long pony-tail whipped around in a flurry. "Yeah, I'm listening. Sorry, I spaced out."

Torako watched as her teacher sighed, his eyes falling shut in exasperation.

When he opened them again, they took on a look as though he was seeing something rather unpleasent.

All of a sudden, Torako felt guilty. The intensity of the gaze gave her discomfort, and she heaved a breath to drive the feeling away.

"Cast the curtain first, always. Keep the collateral damage to a minimum. The priority is the safety of the citizens, yep, got it."

"No, it's not about that."

The girl exhaled, as if already knowing what was on his mind.

"Is it gonna be a lecture on what it takes to be a sorcerer and how I shouldn't be one if I'm hesitating like this?" Unlike other times, Torako's voice was now heavy with sarcasm.

"..."

"Yeah... the curses aren't what I'm scared of, if that's what you're... thinking. It's the people that I will find dead at their hands."

"..."

"Or claws? Paws? Whatever they have for hands. You know what I mean."

"You're not ready to see that?"

The reply came right away, followed by a scornful chuckle. "Nobody should, I think.

"...At least, not kids like us.

"But I was the one who signed up for it, right? So, who am I to complain? It's in the job description to potentially die, anyway."

Torako shrugged the heavy feeling of paranoia off her shoulders with an exasperated sigh. Then, with a loose grin, she said, "So, I'll stop being a hypocrite... and a pussy."

"Language!"

○○○

Suguru and Torako stood before the abandoned apartment complex, their gazes fixed upon its weathered facade.

"Ohhhh... that is creepy." Torako gaped at the site, strolling closer to one of the foggy windows with frost-like cracks on its surface. She leant forward and assessed it carefully, lips curving into a curious frown.

"After looking into the history and records of this area, they speculate that the curse inside is most likely the vengeful spirit of Aoi Nakamura-"

"You mean she turned from human into a curse after she died?" Torako suddenly tilted her head back, peering at Suguru with a crooked expression. She appeared incredulous, as if struggling to accept the confounding notion.

Suguru only nodded.

"Must've lived a rough life, huh?"

"Her husband was an alcoholic and constantly abused her... until one day he killed her on accident," Suguru said, calm but grim. "She must've resented him very much when she died."

Torako nodded. "And where's he now?"

"In jail."

"Fantastic!"

Suguru glanced at his senior, a brief look of intrigue overtaking his features before disappearing with a light chuckle. Because Torako's voice was quite distinctive to the ears, with her usual tone hovering just above deadpan, he couldn't help but laugh a little when he heard her speak so excitedly for the first time.

But then, Torako's head felt heavier than usual. There was a pressure pushing down on her scalp, as if trying to crush her head inwards. The scrawny hand that lunged out from the window, passing through the solid matter with ease, dug its sharp nails into the skin of her head, almost drawing blood.

The abruptness of the grab, the unexpectedness of the assailant's appearance, and the frantic yell of her name that ripped out of Suguru's throat made Torako think, 'DJ, play American Pie by Don McLean.'

'This'll be the day that I die.'