Chapter 9

Despite it being a downgrade, the dorm room was big enough for a workshop to be made out of it. And luckily, it was the weekend, which meant that Torako had all the time in the world to remodel it to her heart's desire.

She spun around, her eyes alike a 3D scanner as they scoped out the entirety of the room. In her mind, she was already placing hypothetical fitments all over the place.

"The computers could go on the table. The blueprints could go on the wall. The tools and gadgets could go in a few new cupboards, and you guys..." Torako paused to point at a brown box on the floor that was filled with small machines and robots, "straight on some handmade shelves.

'And for an immersive holographic environment, I can install multiple projectors in every glass surface, from windows to counters – all of those are a potential interface! And if those aren't enough, I'll just stick more wireless projectors to every corner of the room!'

This was Torako's way of procrastinating. Doing what her whims told her to do, rather than doing what others (her father) told her to do. Training was important, but her hobby was equally as important!

'Recognise procrastination as the silent architect of success in progress.'

That was her motto. Torako convinced herself that procrastination was deliberate incubation period, where thoughts and concepts would marinate into richer, more refined forms.

'That's right! Delaying the inevitable allows the mind to explore creative avenues and enables individuals to gather more knowledge and insights!

'This way, they would be able to approach their tasks with renewed energy and clarity!

'And in the end, it would ultimately enhance the quality of their eventual output!' Torako justified proudly, placing a palm on one side of her face with an arrogant smirk.

In reality, this motto was merely just an excuse for her to laze around and slack off.

"Music!"

○○○

An hour or two later, Suguru found himself standing before an uproarious room, its deafening cacophony assaulting any ears before the door.

"Senior!" He called out amidst a mixture of construction sounds, plus an overlay of pop rock music.

'She really has a bad taste in music.'

"Senior Murakami!" He called again, hoping that she would at least catch the syllables of her own name this time.

When she did not answer yet again, he grew restless. There was no point in knocking either if she couldn't even hear his yells. Every other sound would only be buried beneath the disarrayed layers of noises from within the room.

Suguru huffed out a patient, but exhausted breath, as if he was tolerating the tantrum of a child.

'Should I just barge in? She doesn't sound like she's changing, so I wouldn't be walking in on anything.' An intrusive thought, one which he wanted to entertain.

From behind him, a familiar calm voice spoke, "Just barge in. She wouldn't mind. The door's not locked, after all."

Suguru jolted. He pulled himself away from the door and turned to look at Shoko.

His friend only shrugged with a flat grin, twirling the lollipop around on her tongue.

"I was about to go tell her to stop being so loud, anyway, so you can do it for me."

"What is she doing?"

"Renovating the room," Shoko answered swiftly, making her way to her own room just in front of Torako's. "Been doing it all day since the morning. I don't think she's got any training done yet."

Suguru raised a questioning brow, his lips curling into a small, crooked smile. Torako's phlegmatic attitude towards jujutsu was certainly palpable, but he was afraid that such nonchalant sentiment may not resonate well with the higher-ups. They were so demanding, after all.

"That's not so good. We'll just have to force her next time," he said after a breathy chuckle.

Shoko returned his smile and said, "I tried this morning, but her shikigami wouldn't let me anywhere near her."

"It's eager to please, huh?"

"Understandable, though. This week was probably the first time in eleven years that it's been summoned," Shoko shrugged out of pity. "Makes you wonder why she even became a sorcerer in the first place."

Suguru, having heard that, grew silent. His eyelids fell in a way that made him look like he was pondering over something. But it was only for a split second before he brought back his usual grin.

"Maybe somebody forced her," he joked.

"Or maybe she forced herself."

"Nah, Pokémon's right," Torako raised her hand to confirm.

"GAH!" The juniors jolted violently when Torako suddenly revealed herself.

Suguru quickly regained his composure and chuckled nervously, "Ah, you scared us, Senior."

Torako apologised half-heartedly as she leant against the door frame.

"And what brings you to this side of the dorm? You're a girl now or something?" She quipped, meeting Suguru's eyes.

Despite the playful edge in her exterior, on the inside, Torako's teeth and stomach were physically aching in profound distress.

'Since I've been slacking off all day, the only reason why he's here is to probably drag me to training. Damn it, Pokémon! The mum that you are!' She cried in her head.

Torako had decided that the moment Suguru made his move was the moment she executed a flawless one-eighty-degree spin into a mad scramble. Her dearest shikigami had already cleared the path for her to jump out the window anyway, so surely, there was no chance she could fail.

Suguru shook his head and reached his hands towards her. "I'm here because of this, actually."

Torako looked at what had been held out to her.

In one hand of his, was a ball of a condensed cursed spirit, and in the other, was the same box of Miracle Berries that she'd given him.

"You haven't even opened the box yet."

"I plan to do it today."

She squinted, looked at Shoko who had already slipped into her own room, then said to Suguru, "Right... Right now?"

A shrug was all she got as a response.