Unwanted Caller pt. 1

Alex went back to her apartment to find a worried Harley waiting for her. 'At least the cops aren't here yet,' she thought to herself as her best friend wrapped her up in a huge hug.

"Harley, you have to get out of here," Alex warned.

"Why?" Harley asked, pulling away.

Alex proceeded to tell Harley everything that had happened in the past twelve hours. Harley listened intently.

"Alex, I don't care if the cops come for you! I'll protect you!" she insisted. "Plus, I wanna play around with your new abilities!"

Alex chuckled. "Listen, Harley, come back tomorrow. We can mess around with my new abilities then. I want to be alone."

Harley frowned. "Are you sure? Isn't being alone what caused you to panic and get in this predicament in the first place?"

"While you have a point, I am more confident now. I don't know why. It probably has something to do with the accident. Just... let me go tonight, okay?"

Harley hesitated before answering. "Well, alright. But before I leave, I think you'd like to know that I saw Johnny at Arkham today!"

Alex gasped and smiled. "You did! Oh, and don't call him Johnny."

"Sorry. But I think I might have a liaison with him!" Harley squealed.

Alex's smile grew even wider. "What! I can't believe it! Who?"

"One of his lunchmates is my patient. Jack White, a.k.a, the Joker!" Harley told her. "Is there any message you want for him to pass the next time I see him, which I believe is Saturday?"

"Of course! Tell him I love him and I need him more than ever because things are falling apart without him," Alex said solemnly.

Harley smiled sadly. "Will do, hon. And remember, things will get better. They have to." She gave Alex one more hug before she entered the elevator and left.

Alex sighed and got dinner prepared for herself. she decided to have tacos tonight. She sat down to watch some Spongebob as she ate, needing to take her mind off of everything. After she ate and mindlessly laughed her ass off for a while, Alex decided to turn in for the night. She found it so strange as she changed and lay down in bed. She wasn't scared. Normally being alone and in the dark was one of Alex's least favorite things, but tonight was different. She felt comfortable. Content even. With those thoughts floating around in her head, she slowly drifted off to sleep.

________________________________________________________________________________

This time she heard him before he had the chance to sneak up on her. At some point during the night, Alex must've subconsciously turned on her enhanced hearing, because she could pick out the suspicious swishing sound of a cape amongst the soothing sounds of the city far below.

Her eyes snapped open, and she looked over to her window. Sure enough, even through the fabric of the closed curtains, while using her enhanced sight, Alex could make out the ominous silhouette of Batman looking in.

But he was ready this time. After her first incident, Alex had taken to keeping a gun under her pillow, and a knife in her bedside table's drawer. She sat up and got both out as Batman almost silently opened her window and slipped inside.

Alex could tell she startled him by already being wide awake with weapons in her hands, but he quickly recovered from the shock. He towered over her bed, trying to intimidate her, but she felt a strange sense of calm like she knew that he wouldn't hurt her at all because that's not how Batman did things.

"What are you doing here?" Alex asked confidently, although she had no idea where the confidence came from. "Get out." She cocked the gun.

"I wouldn't do that if I were you," Batman warned. But Alex held his gaze and didn't lower her weapons.