ERUDITION

0 8 0 0

M a l v e r n, E n g l a n d

"Meeting in the office room, 15 minutes." The sonorous voice of Captain Price rang through the hallways, alerting each member of 141. Ghost, Soap, and Gaz were in their barracks, cleaning up for inspection day when the announcement was made. Each recruit stopped what they were doing, stepping out into the hallway to face each other. A look of confusion was exchanged between the three soldiers, but each individual heeded and walked silently to the meeting room at the end of the building.

 It was an early spring morning, and the country had been at peace for a long while, giving 141 the well-deserved break they needed. The nerves and anticipation in the room was enough to raise tensions, instilling precautionary doubt in their minds. "I wonder what's goin' on this time, we just got settled down." Soap scowled, rolling the wheeled office chair over to the coffee bar to fix a cup for himself. Gaz shrugged his shoulders, "I don't know, but I was kind of getting bored and in need of some action, I'm pumped."

Ghost didn't give into their banter, he only sat with his legs manspread and slumped in his chair, with his buff arms crossed over his chest. The clock went ever so slowly to the fifteen-minute mark Price had given them, antagonizing Ghost with waiting. He wouldn't let it show, but mission briefings still got him a bit on the nervous side despite the hundreds and thousands he went on and overcame. 

Something about the chance of death was nerve racking, yet fulfilling for the soldier. The only thing that kept him going was the chance of revenge for his mother and family. His thoughts were abruptly broken by the loud, thunderous footsteps of Captain Price entering the office room. Whatever nonsense Soap and Gaz were talking about ceased when they saw their bearded superior enter the room, sitting now with their full attention to him. "Good morning, gentlemen." Price greeted, setting down a tan colored folder and his morning coffee. "Good morning, Captain." The three responded in unison.

Price opened the folder, shuffling out some charts, files, and pictures. "So, as you might've guessed, we have another mission ahead of us." Price started, eyeing the small crowd in front of him. "Unfortunately, this isn't going to be an in-and-out style operation, this is going to be a long-drawn-out war." Ghost could hear Soap gulp at the mention of Price's last word. War. 

"There's been a mass of recent cyber-attacks in the US, and now globally. With the help of Laswell and our sonar team, we've pinpointed the location of some unusual activity. Looking at the facilities' shipping and receiving records, there's been an unusually large shipment of unauthorized memory cards that have been sent to big tech corporations. These corporations have made multiple security equipment for the military and these memory cards have been remotely scanned. Unfortunately, we can't pinpoint who and where these cards have been scanned from."

Price stated, pacing around in front of the trio while speaking. "That's where you three come in. I want you to go to the facility and investigate. If you turn up dry, find a night worker there that might give you some information. By any means necessary, we need dirt on these people before it's too late." The three were silent, absorbing all of his information and making a game plan in their heads. "Now, room inspections will be skipped and you all need to pack and get ready to be flown out to Burnley, Nevada. 

It's going to be a hot operation, so dress safely yet lightly. There's going to be a drive from the landing strip to a neighboring town along the only source of water you'll see for miles, then a ten-mile hike in the sandy desert. Pack accordingly. You're all dismissed, and you leave in seven hours. Good luck." Price passed out the briefing papers, along with pictures of the facility and of the product they'd be finding. This product included equipment with the name 'Dayseek Technologies' written on the barcodes and unmarked memory cards.