Chapter 3

-Mature Content-

It took everything in Xavier's power to keep from manhandling Clara to the floor and taking her right inside the foyer. Having his mate in his home was almost too much. If she were already a wolf shifter, he'd have taken her already, but they had to move slowly with their human mate. And she was worth waiting for. Her tantalizing smell told him that, but his wolf wouldn't stop growling and panting with need.

Hold it together, brother. Adam had been sending him silent messages since they'd left the bar with her. My need is strong, too, but we can wait.

I'm trying, Xavier shot back at him. He'd insisted on driving Clara back to their place, forcing Adam to be the one to drive her car to River Springs. Adam had rolled his eyes at that but hadn't said anything. He'd gotten to hold Clara in the bar, so the car ride home was Xavier's turn. Of course, being in such a closed-in space with her had been a unique brand of torture. The smell of her perfume, laced with her unique body scent, had nearly driven him mad. At first, he'd been thrilled to scent her arousal as her body responded to the innate connection they shared as mates, but in the next instant he'd had to stifle a groan as thoughts of her dripping pussy pushed him closer to the edge.

I smell her, too, came another thought from Adam. It's the best thing I've ever scented.

Xavier could only agree.

"Your home is nice, very comfortable-looking. I love the exposed wood, and that fireplace! It kind of makes me wish for colder weather." Her comments had merely seemed polite at first, and Xavier wasn't surprised. They hadn't done much with the place, and it could use a woman's touch. But when she'd seen the huge fireplace he'd built into the living room wall, her whole face lit up. Seeing that, Xavier decided if he did nothing more than make her smile for the rest of his life, his time on earth would be well spent.

"I built it. Carving is sort of a hobby of mine." He watched as she drifted over to it and ran her hands over the wood and stone. She touched it so lovingly, he almost felt jealous.

"How long did it take you to finish it?"

"Oh, maybe a few months."

Her eyes widened in surprise. "I'm truly impressed. I've never seen anything like it."

"Thanks. I'm glad you like it."

"Who wouldn't?"

"We'll have to show you around the rest of the place once you've gotten out of your clothes." Oh, shit. Had he really just said that? He ran a hand through his hair. "What I mean is-"

"What he means is once you've had a chance to dry off and get comfortable." Adam had come back from preparing the guestroom for Clara just in time to save Xavier from making any other off-color comments. "I've set up the guest bathroom for you. There are fresh towels and some toiletries you can use. After that, maybe you'd like to see the rest of the place?"

"Thank you. A hot shower sounds like heaven right now." She massaged the back of her neck, and Xavier's fingers itched to help.

"I'll show you the way," Adam said, leading their mate down the hall that led to the guestroom and their office.

Xavier watched Clara's ass sashaying away from him. Two round globes that begged to be squeezed, licked, and even bitten. He wanted to accompany her, he really did, but he knew he was better off letting Adam show her to her room. His erection had returned full force and impatient.

***            

"Ahhh." She sighed with pleasure as the hot water massaged her sore, tired muscles. What an insane day. She couldn't believe an argument with her sister had ended with an assault and ultimately the possibility of losing her life. She shuddered at the thought of what those two criminals would have done to her had Adam and Xavier not shown up.