Chapter 6

Clara woke to find herself tucked between Xavier's arm and his chest. She breathed deeply, allowing herself to enjoy his masculine scent before getting up. From look of things just outside Xavier’s window, she determined it was full-on morning and she wanted to get back to the lodge before Adam or Kate woke up and went looking for her. She hadn’t meant to stay with Xavier all night.

  She was just sliding away when Xavier's arms tightened around her, and before she knew it, he’d pulled her on top of him. She looked down into one of the sexiest grins she’d ever seen just before he laid a kiss on her.

  “Morning,” he said, moving on to kiss the sensitive spot on her neck.

  Mmmm, she had to admit that felt good. “Morning yourself. I was trying not to wake you.”

  “No worries. You can wake me like this anytime.” He punctuated his words by palming her ass cheeks.

  Clara pushed back to continue her exit from the bed, only to find herself locked tighter in his arms.

  “Where are you going in such a hurry?”

  “To the bathroom. Then I need you to take me back to the lodge.”

“I can think of better things to do.” He moved his hips, driving his point home.

  Her body was all too eager to betray her, nipples hardening and pussy creaming at the slightest provocation from him. “Adam said he’d meet us back there last night, and now it’s morning. The least we can do is get back there now.” Damn, her voice lacked conviction. It was the way he kissed her shoulder and ran his hand lightly between her legs. She found it difficult to put up a fuss pressed up against him like that.

  Laughter rumbled in his throat and then he deftly switched positions, ending up on top of her. “I told you, you worry too much,” he said between kisses. “You don’t have to worry about jealousy between us. Now, if another man tries to touch you, he’ll lose a limb. But your pussy is ours, and we’re prepared to share it.”

  There was an argument against any part of her body belonging to anyone else, and it was right on the tip of her tongue. But when he flicked his tongue over and around her nipple, she lost her train of thought. When his fingers touched the still-sensitive flesh he’d just described, she realized there was little chance she’d recover it. And when he’d worked her to a fever pitch of desire and then entered her, growling his pleasure in her ear, she promptly forgot that she’d been planning to protest in the first place.

  * * *

"Adam will think it’s cute that you were worried about him.” Xavier kissed her nose before opening the car door and gesturing for her to get in.

  When he slid in beside her and started the engine, she couldn’t stop herself from scolding him again. “I still can’t believe you didn’t tell me Adam never came home…I mean back to the lodge last night.”

  “Home. I like the way you say that.”

  “I meant back.” Ugh. She really did sound like a wife.

  “He texted late last night that there was a problem over in the northern part of our territory and he’d probably be up all night taking care of it.”

  “And that didn’t worry you? Not at all?”

  Xavier shrugged as he maneuvered the car out of the driveway and onto the small road that led to the lodge. “Adam can handle himself, and if he needs help, he’ll call for me. Besides, he expected me to take care of you and that’s what I did.”

  “What kind of trouble was it?”

  “He didn’t say, but we’ll see him at breakfast. You can ask him.”