Chapter 1

A little over a month after her guilt-induced promise to her mother, Clara pulled her navy-blue Volvo into the driveway of 34-3 Wister Lane, her sister's address. Kate would be surprised to see her drive up in that instead of the sporty red car she used to own, but Clara had traded that in a while ago. After losing Aiden, she'd experienced off-the-charts anxiety and decided she needed something safer. She hadn't admitted it to anyone, but thoughts of mortality had plagued her then, and she still battled with them now. She'd had to force herself out the door for this visit, as she pictured all the types of accidents she could have along the way. Once she'd hit the open road, though, her mind had settled down. It actually felt good to get away from her routine.

Clara stepped out onto the gravel driveway and looked around. She'd seen pictures of Kate's home, but it was far more rustic-looking in person. Reminiscent of a cabin, though a good deal grander, the ranch-style home sat on a heavily wooded lot. Birdsong hit her ears as she stepped up on the porch, walked past two benches that looked as if they'd been hand-carved, and lifted her hand to knock on the front door.

Her hand never made contact with the wood. The door swung open and her sister pulled her into her arms so fast Clara could only gasp in surprise.

Kate hugged her so tightly, Clara was surprised she could still breathe. "I didn't think you'd really come!"

"I told you I was coming."

"Yeah, but..."Clara trailed off, releasing her and drawing her inside. She shut the door with a quick shove and grabbed Clara in another bone-crunching hug. "I can't believe you're finally here. I've missed you so much."

Clara couldn't help but grin from ear to ear. Not until that moment had she realized just how much she'd missed her big sister. She hadn't allowed herself to think about it.

"Stop hugging me and let me get a look at you."

Lupus Falls had definitely been good for her sister. The woman seemed to glow. She'd put on a few pounds, but they suited her, enhancing her curves, and her strawberry-blonde hair was cut to a stylish chin-length. It was the light in her eyes, though, and that megawatt smile. Kate exuded happiness. "You look great. What is it? All the fresh air out here in the country?"

Kate winked. "Something like that. Where are your bags? I'll get you settled and tell you all about it."

"They're in the car. Let me go grab them."

"No, don't worry about it. The guys will get them. Take a seat and make yourself at home."

Guys? What guys? Clara sunk into the huge suede sofa her sister had directed her to, but she didn't have to waste much time wondering. Her jaw dropped as Kate came back with two of the most gorgeous men she'd ever seen in tow. She had to remind herself to close her mouth.

Stopping in front of the couch, her sister took a deep breath, her sunny expression fading a little. "Clara, this is Jason and Will. My men."

Clara's jaw dropped again and it was several seconds before she remembered to close her mouth that time. She finally remembered and stood up to shake their hands. Jason was a tall, blond Adonis and Will was slightly shorter, brown-haired, but every bit as handsome.

Jason smiled, and the whole world got a little brighter. "It's nice to finally meet you."

Will had the kind of deep bedroom voice Clara thought only movie stars had. "Yes, Kate has told us so much about you, we couldn't wait to get to know you ourselves."

They had Clara at a disadvantage. She knew nothing about them. "It's nice to meet you, too," was all she could think of to say.

Kate turned back to the gods she'd referred to as her men. "Would you mind getting Clara's bags and putting them in the guest room for me? I need a few minutes to catch her up, and then we'll do dinner."