some time in the middle of the book

Charlie was in his room when he faintly heard the doorbell ringing downstairs. He didn't expect any visitors tonight because he was supposed to be over at his best friends' who bailed on him last minute- giving him the opportunity to have some time for himself to play Playstation the entire night- so he didn't bother getting up to either open the door for Ruby who had probably forgotten her keys or for the postman who delivered yet another package of clothing Harry had ordered as if he wouldn't have enough clothes already anyway.

"Papa? Don't you hear the door?" Charlie yelled, but received no answer when the doorbell rang again.

He knew Harry was somewhere in the house probably cleaning up or thinking of possibilities on redecorating the house just as at least once in six months for no reason at all. The doorbell eventually stopped ringing and Charlie sighed relieved, but the peace didn't last long when his phone buzzed next to him.

"Oh for fuck's sake!" He groaned and grabbed it but his annoyance vanished when he saw that Leya was calling. "Hi, love." He answered happily.

"Where are you? I'm ringing your bell for five minutes now, I thought you were home." Leya complained.

"Oh, it's you? I thought you wanted to go to the cinema with friends?" Charlie wondered, but got up already to go downstairs.

"No, Nicole is grounded and Celeste's family is visiting relatives and she has to tag along." Leya huffed. "As if they couldn't tell me sooner."

"Oh, I see." Charlie said into the phone and opened the door at the same time, hanging up now. "So I'm good enough to spend the evening with you now?" He grinned and Leya rolled her eyes at him.

"You always are." She huffed and stood on her tip toes to kiss his lips.

"Mhm, sure." Charlie smiled and pulled her inside.

"So, what do we do now? Where's Rubes and...everyone else?" Leya asked when they went into the kitchen where Charlie prepared ice tea and some snacks for them.

"Out, I think. Haven't seen her at all today. Georgie is sleeping over at his friend's, Ivy is at our nan's, dad has a job wherever and paps should be somewhere in the house, dunno where though." Charlie rattled down and Leya hummed. "We could go down to the pool or go to my room and watch a movie." He suggested.

"Movie sounds good, I really don't want to go home right now to grab my swimsuit." Leya cringed and looked at Charlie who instantly put two and two together.

"Oh. I guess they won't be showing up today anymore then for their usual game night?" He grimaced and Leya nodded. "You can sleep over, dad won't mind." He shrugged.

"But mine will. You are lucky our dads are best friends, but not lucky enough that he would let me sleep over." Leya chuckled.

"Oh, come on. He won't find out. They are busy anyway." Charlie cackled when Leya looked even more disgusted.

"Oh please, babe! I really don't want to think about it." She whined.

"Think about what?" Ruby appeared in the living room and plopped down on a barstool next to Leya.

"Nothing." Charlie said quickly, frowning because he didn't hear her coming and hoping she didn't hear their conversation until now and would leave it.

"You didn't tell her?" Leya asked surprised.

"Tell me what?" Ruby asked confused, her eyes switched between Charlie and Leya like ping pong balls.

"Nothing!" Charlie hissed. "Of course I didn't tell her! She's too young!"

"I'm just a year older than her and without me you wouldn't even know about it." Leya frowned.

"Ley, stop." Charlie said seriously. "This is nothing to just randomly say."