Four

Ichabod's Pov

It was dawn and Young Masbath had just knocked on my door to wake me just as I had instructed. I made my way down stairs and was met with both Masbath and Y/N waiting at the door for me. "Are we all ready to go?" I asked and both replied with a yes. Making our way through town so early in the morning was unsettling and there was a chill in the air making it an uncomfortable walk as well. Suddenly I felt someone brush up against my arm and when I looked to my side I saw Y/N she had her arms wrapped around herself to keep warm. 

"Where is your coat?" I asked.

"I gave it to Masbath I would rather him have it more than me." She explained.

"Would you like to borrow my coat?" I asked.

"That is very kind of you Constable but I think you better keep it you have to stay healthy to investigate these murders." She said.

Even though she declined I still felt the need to help in some way. So I hesitantly put my arm around her waist and gently pulled her a little closer to me. And we walked together the rest of the way to the cemetery without saying another word. We entered the cemetery and I spotted the few men that I asked to help me. Y/N must have seen them to because she quickly pulled away leaving my arm to fall back to my side I suddenly felt the chill in the air again as she left.

"Hello, everyone I thank you for your help. I called you here because I need to examine these bodies for clues. So everyone grab a shovel and start digging." I instructed.

Y/N's Pov

Once Ichabod explained his reasoning for brining us all here at this ungodly hour in the morning it made sense why he didn't want to tell me what we were doing until now. I grabbed a spare shovel that was left at the entrance and looked around for a grave with the least amount of people. There was one on the far right of the other graves that only had two men working at it so I made my way over to that one. As I put my shovel in the dirt and started to dig farther into the ground I noticed how quiet the sounds of digging suddenly got around me. As I glanced up in front of me I noticed the other two men left with their shovels to help at another grave. I was accustomed with being alone or being left alone but it still hurt just alittle everytime people walked away. To distract myself from the tears wanting to cloud my eyes I put all my energy into digging up this grave and with each stab of my shovel into the ground the feelings were slowly pushed back down again until I felt just the freezing cold around me.

"Excuse me Y/N." Young Masbath said from behind me startling me a little bit.

"Yes, Masbath." I said.

"Would you like some help?" He asked.

"That would be wonderful. Thank you." I answered.

As Young Masbath started to dig with me I noticed some of the men had been watching our conversation as if they thought it was an extraordinary sight to see someone talk to me. But I didn't care what they thought anymore because at least I knew one person cared to help me even if I was the crazy woman of the town.

*******

"Pete Van Garrett, Dirk Van Garrett, Jonathan Masbath and the widow winship." Ichabod listed as he walked around looking at the graves of the dug up dead.

"Five victims four graves." I heard Ichabod say to himself as he walked over to the grave myself and Masbath dug up. The smell was absolutely revolting and looking at the rotting body of the woman in the coffin made me feel sick. I watched as Ichabod put a cloth up to his face to cover his mouth and nose as he bent down to examine the body. I watched as he flipped over a piece of her clothing to reveal a wound on her stomach.