Nine

Ichabod's Pov

We all mounted our horses again and quickly left the area wanting to put as much distance between us and what was very obviously a witch.

"Ichabod which way should we be going?" Y/N asked.

"We must take the Indian Trail to the Tree of the Dead." I said.

"How will we recognize it?" Masbath asked. As I was about to answer his question I noticed something moving in the forest. It was white and almost blended in with the fog that had settled on the forest.

"Everyone stop." I commanded in a hushed voice. I dismounted Gunpowder and took out my pistol. "Stay right here." I told Y/N and Masbath as I continued to walk farther away from them. I hid around a tree and slowly came around with my pistol out and in front of me ready to fire. "Halt and turn I have a pistol aimed." I said to the stranger. When suddenly the stranger turned around letting their hood down for me to meet face to face with Katrina.

"Katrina! I might have killed you why have you come?" I asked walking down to her.

"Because no one else would go with you." She said.

"Well we both know that I have been accompanied by
Y/N and Young Masbath. Well I am now twice the man now. It must be your white magic." I said looking up to her I noticed that she was slowly bringing herself closer to me when suddenly.

"Pardon my intrusion I think you better come have a look at this." Masbath said bring me back to our original task. We both followed behind Masbath towards what he said I should look at. As we got to an opening I saw that Y/N was standing there holding all three horses in front of what looked like an old almost black tree and it was twisted in an unsettling manner. I walked up to the tree to better examine it when I noticed a glossy substance on it. I brushed my finger across the tree and when I pulled it back it was covered in a red liquid that looked like blood. 

"What is it Ichabod?" Y/N said.

"Blood, pass me the hatchet please." I asked holding my hand out. Y/N walked back to Masbath's horse and pulled out the hatchet which was packed among with other things. She walked forward and handed me the hatchet. "You should stand back." I said to her which she quickly did.

"Stay back all of you." I instructed as I walked up to the tree and began to swing the hatchet down onto a section of the tree that had a slight lift to it. I noticed that fresh blood was coming out of the tree I swung the hatchet blade farther into the tree making it spurt blood out all onto by clothes and face. I chopped away more pieces of the tree until I could pull the bark off like flesh as I kept pulling away at the tree a large piece came off which I pick up and tossed off to the side.

"What is it?" Masbath said taking a step forward.

"Just stay where you are." I instructed and I noticed out of the corner of my eye that Y/N had stepped out front and held her arm out in a protective manner to keep Masbath and Katrina back. I pulled away another large pice of the tree and from behind it came out a large amount of bloody and severed heads that had been cut by the horseman. I quickly backed away in disgust and I walked back towards the group. Masbath had covered his eyes and turned away hugging Katrina and she hugged him back to keep him calm and protected. Y/N grabbed and pulled on my wrist to bring me back to her side she looked as if she was going to be sick. "Here." Y/N said meekly holding out a handkerchief for me to wipe the blood away with. "This tree is gateway... a gateway between two worlds." I said walking forward noticing an odd shaped stick which was in the ground on the hill right above the tree. I climbed up the tree and made my way over to the stick and noticed that it was the handle to a sword. And right below it was a mound of dirt. "This ground has been disturbed. Y/N my shovel." I said holding my arm out to receive the tool I requested.