Chapter 2: Angels in Night City

*David's POV*

  I hate when (Y/N) is right.

  That gear that doc sent my way did exactly what he said it would do. MY mom had to come all the way down to the school to apologize on my behalf, even made it to where not only do we gotta pay for the repairs, I gotta pay for the damn upgrade anyway.

  Now I gotta sit in the car and hear mom chew me out for it.

Gloria: What happened? Didn't I tell you to get the upgrade?

David: Yeah it's Docs damn fault, gave me a fully borked drive.

Gloria: You tried to get around the system, didn't you? Now it'll cost us ten times more.

David: Sorry.

Gloria: If it's something you've gotta apologize for, maybe don't do it in the first place, ey?

David: Said you didn't have the eddies when I asked, so-

Gloria: I was waiting for payday!

David: What does it matter? You and (Y/N) telling me the same thing. Even offering to upgrade our stuff for us.

Gloria: (Y/N) is a good boy. He's smart and even graduated the Academy early. You know he truly does care for you, for both of us.

David: I know. He's the only suit I trust in this city, all the rest of those stuck up Arasaka brats treat me like shit anyway. Don't fit in at that place whatsoever.

Gloria: You think I don't know how they treat you? You think I don't get treated the same way? I just want to give you a fighting chance. Everything I do, I do for you D. Don't you see that.

  I look towards her as she says words that make any child feel their own heart shatter.

Gloria: You're breaking my heart, mijo.

David: Wait what?

Gloria: My sweet baby boy. So smart, so talented. You're everything to me. I want to give you a fighting chance in this city and a good education. It's why I put in all those hours. Why I'm never home.

  It was tugging at my heart to hear her. She was so sweet, too sweet for this city that's for sure. I just didn't wanna let her down.

David: Uh, I'm sorry. Shouldn't have brought it up. . . . But (Y/N) told me something that got me thinking.

  I remembered him sharing his philosophy outside of the Academy. How he doesn't want to be a suit apparently, how he want's control of his own life, to do what he want's to do, whether it be a netrunner, merc, fixer, or business man if he desired it. As long as it was his choice.

David: (Y/N) says that he want's to be able to chose whatever life he want's to lead. And live his own life without others deciding for him. As long as it's his choice.

Gloria: . . . Yeah. (Y/N) is a person with big dreams, but no matter what you both do I'd rather you both be safe and have a fighting chance. And you staying at the academy guarantees that. Just imagine it, you working at Arasaka Tower on the top floor.

  She turns to me with a smile this time. I can tell this was something she genuinely wanted for me. For us I mean.

Gloria: You've got this D. You're my son.

 You're my son